Install os 9 trouble (urgent!!! help!!!)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi guys,

there's a software we need to use at uva which runs only in classic so I needed to install it on my iBook 500.

I borrowed an OS 9 cd from my pal. Tried to boot from it, got a system bomb saying illegal instruction.

now,,,wtf???

I borrowed a software restore cd from my other pal who just bought a 15inch Ti. It's a dvd. Can I install os 9 without deleting everything and restoring everything?

Thanks and this is urgent. I need it for my course.

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    You can install just 9 on a already Mac OS X setup computer. Pop the disk in and install.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

You can install just 9 on a already Mac OS X setup computer. Pop the disk in and install.

Ok, I'm not an idiot. please read carefully.

" I borrowed an OS 9 cd from my pal. Tried to boot from it, got a system bomb saying illegal instruction."

Steve.

by the way, if you were wondering why I was trying to boot from cd, well, that's how you install os 9.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Classic should already be on your ibook. Just check System Preferences - System. Unless you deleted it, it should be there.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Classic should already be on your ibook. Just check System Preferences - System. Unless you deleted it, it should be there.

reg

Yes I deleted it. In fact, I never installed it in the first place. ( I initialized and installed only X)

Guys, I'm not dumb!!! Could I get some real help here?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    You do not have to start up off of a disc to install OS 9.

Not sure if it helps but just telling you. Illegal instruction...you sure your not trying to install it on a PC?

I would say grab a different version of OS 9...download it and try that instead. (I assume since you have a computer that had OS 9...or at least should have at some point that it would not be a problem to download legal wise.

When you installed OS X...i guess you formatted the HD, did you install OS 9 drivers? I don't know what they do but I would guess they are necessary.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Yeah, I seem to recall something about drivers. I think you install those by booting from the OS X disc. Sorry, I can't be more helpful but try installing the drivers from X disc (if that;s possible) then install 9.

Good luck,
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Your aftermarket RAM chip is likely flakin out on you. Take it out and try the installation again.

When you bomb while booted from a CD, this is usually the most likely culprit.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Your aftermarket RAM chip is likely flakin out on you. Take it out and try the installation again.

When you bomb while booted from a CD, this is usually the most likely culprit.

Pulled the ram out and still same problem. "Bus Error"

help, I'm going to fail this course if i don't get 9!!

Thanks though.

Steve.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    And I don't think the hard disk drivers matters at all. Booting from a cd does not read or write anything from the hdd.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

stevegongrui said.

I borrowed a software restore cd from my other pal who just bought a 15inch Ti. It's a dvd. Can I install os 9 without deleting everything and restoring everything?

I know it said that before. But remember you said this after??? Right??

Software restore and OS 9 disk are kinda two different things.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

I know it said that before. But remember you said this after??? Right??

Software restore and OS 9 disk are kinda two different things.

Dude, software restore contains the os 9 installer. the os 9 disk doesn't work so what do you suggest I do? The restore cd is an option but it doesn't specify if it actually erases the hdd.

If you just want to troll, do this elsewhere. I've got real problems.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Here's what I did to get OS 9 on my iBook without having to go through the entire Software Restore process:

1. Download TinkerTool (free Preference Pane, look for it at MacUpdate)

2. Open TinkerTool pane in the System Preferences, and check the "Show Hidden and System Files" in the "Finder" tab.

3. Relaunch Finder for changes to take effect

4. Insert your Software Restore CD. Open it and look around. You should see a folder called ".images" which is normally invisible because of the period in front of the name. Open it.

5. Inside the .images folder are all the disk images used on that software restore CD. OS 9 might be on there and it might not be. If not, eject the CD and try with each of your other Software Restore CDs until you find it.

6. Once you find the OS 9 disk image, copy it to your desktop. Once it's done copying you can hide system and hidden files again, and eject the CD.

7. Mount the disk image. It should contain a system folder. OS 9 isn't picky about this sort of thing, so just drag the system folder to your hard drive.

8. Once it's done copying, you can eject the disk image and delete the DMG file (if you want, or you can keep it around just in case).

9. Try booting into OS 9, or starting Classic. You'll probably have to go through a dialog box the first time you start Classic mode.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    When OS X was installed, was the OS 9 Drivers installed. Was it partioned or formatted through the Disk utility on the CD. If the check mark for OS 9 Drivers was unchecked, then you won't be able to install OS 9 even to use for Classic. You would have to reinstall X and install the drivers.