What makes the 12" PB .18 inches thicker?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
it seems really strange that the 12" is just a hair thicker than the others.

perhaps it's just the ram placement or something, airport card? I don't know.

Its amazing enough that the 15 and 17" are only 1" thick,

just so weird that the smallest one is ever so slightly thicker.

I personally think it works for that model, it makes it look more sturdy, and kind of like a Pro-iBook, which is a nice intermediate step between the iBooks and the Pbooks.

*shrug* anyone got any insight on this?

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Because it's smaller elsewhere? AND it has a SuperDrive? I know it can get smaller but it's already a seriously high quality piece of engineering.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

it seems really strange that the 12" is just a hair thicker than the others.

perhaps it's just the ram placement or something, airport card? I don't know.

Its amazing enough that the 15 and 17" are only 1" thick,

just so weird that the smallest one is ever so slightly thicker.

I personally think it works for that model, it makes it look more sturdy, and kind of like a Pro-iBook, which is a nice intermediate step between the iBooks and the Pbooks.

*shrug* anyone got any insight on this?

8)

All I want is for it to get down to 4.5 pounds. "Four-and-a-half pounds" sounds better then "4.6 pounds"
  • Reply 3 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Well, if you make it smaller on the X and Y, the extra volume has to go somewhere, and that happens to by the Z axis. But Apple had to lose the DVI and RAM capacity to slim it down further.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well guess what? I'd gladly accept that extra smidgen of thickness if it meant the 12" had DVI and 2 removable RAM slots...you know, like the OTHER PowerBooks.

\
  • Reply 5 of 7
    .18 inches really isn't that much. Because of it's size it has to be little thicker than the 15 and 17". They can't cram all that stuff in a 1" incloser. I'm really suprised at that's it's a 12" laptop at the thickness it's at right now. It's marvolous.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    It's for the ladies.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The 12" PB is based off of the iBook, not the PowerBook. The 15's dimensions were not at issue when designing the 12" PB.