iPod 50GB in November

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    50GB ipod. I personally think that that's just out of the question, whos really going to have over 12,000 ( I think it's 12.500 total) to put on their ipod? Just thinking about managing all those songs makes me not want to get one. The 30GB I think is the perfect size.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Heck, I'd store my music collection on that beast in AIFF format. Screw compression.

Amorph,

You want to be carefull doing that, you'll chew through batteries faster than you can say 'dang it'.

An apple TIL somewhere says the way the iPod gets such great battery life is because it caches 32MB into RAM, then spinds the hdd down. If you're playing large AIFFs, the hdd will almost never spin down.

-Dan
  • Reply 23 of 43
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Grecy

You want to be carefull doing that, you'll chew through batteries faster than you can say 'dang it'.

An apple TIL somewhere says the way the iPod gets such great battery life is because it caches 32MB into RAM, then spinds the hdd down. If you're playing large AIFFs, the hdd will almost never spin down.

Well then the engineers had better bump up the RAM cache - it already results in hiccups playing audio books.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Grecy

Amorph,

-Dan

true, but then again, AIFF and WAV require a fraction of the processing power that it takes to listen to MP3s. I dont know if the tradeoff between less processing of cpu and more HD spinning is actually a factor to consider though.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:

Well, I have 85GB (17,000 songs) so a 50GB iPod isn't going to help me, but it's a start in the right direction. But listening 24/7 would take 50 days to listen to all the songs.

Well, hell, let me saddle up to the bar and whip mine out.

Let me check iTunes...

Ah, here we go: 27,607 songs, 77.2 days, 133.23 GB.

I can easily see a 50gb ipod later this year. I put a 60gb drive in my powerbook a few months ago, so the drives are large enough for a 50 gigger.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    i really doubht there will be an ipod update in november or before the holiday season. The current ipod came out in may which would make november only 6 months. So far the ipod has had a longer update times. I don't think we'll see one maybe till january feburary earliest. I even see apple making the ipod update a yearly thing.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by warhol

Well, hell, let me saddle up to the bar and whip mine out.

Let me check iTunes...

Ah, here we go: 27,607 songs, 77.2 days, 133.23 GB.

I can easily see a 50gb ipod later this year. I put a 60gb drive in my powerbook a few months ago, so the drives are large enough for a 50 gigger.

Geez, I guess I'll have to put some more songs on but need to wait for my G5 so I can get a couple 160GB drives...
  • Reply 28 of 43
    The bigger the better I say. iPods make just as good external HD's as they do MP3 players. I could fit a lot more files for travel on if they were bigger.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    3078 songs, 15.8 days, 49.42 GB

i guess ill have to convert all of my aif files to AAC if i get an ipod

wont be an easy task for a 233 G3
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Here's what I'd like to see:

An OS X installation on the iPod, the mysterious "travelling user profile" feature and an iSync update to where it would sync your entire user's folder whenever you plugged you iPod in. You could effortlessly sync work and home machines, as well as use any Mac anywhere without having to worry about what files were on what device.

That, and about 30 GB left over for music would be tres cool.

CV
  • Reply 31 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Now that would be a pretty cool, useful thing! Does it not do this already? You have to manually do it, huh?
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Now that would be a pretty cool, useful thing! Does it not do this already? You have to manually do it, huh?

You can manually drag files back and forth, (I use mine to move files between home/work now) or clone with CCC, but why not with iSync? They'll have the space, and the technology. All they need is the "vision thing."

CV
  • Reply 33 of 43
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, how freaky is THIS (just came out tonight, I guess):

http://www.macminute.com/2003/09/03/backup2

Quote:

Apple releases Backup 2 Public Beta

Apple has posted a public beta version of Backup 2, its file archiving utility for .Mac members. The new version brings the ability to back up to external hard drives and mounted volumes including FireWire hard drives, iPods, and network servers. Backup 2 also lets you make backup CDs and DVDs using external drives.

Something like that then?

Man, talk about that whole "ask and ye shall receive..." stuff.

• Reply 34 of 43
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Man, talk about that whole "ask and ye shall receive..." stuff.

Dear Mr. Jobs,

I want to win the lottery.

Love,

Bunge.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by warhol

Laptop drives are 2.5", the iPod drives are 1.8". You'd really have to look to the capacity of Toshiba ultraportables, because that's where the 1.8"-drives are used in computers.

Come to think of it, I believe the 1.8"-drives will appear in the next major Powerbook revision...
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by chef ramen noodle

3078 songs, 15.8 days, 49.42 GB

i guess ill have to convert all of my aif files to AAC if i get an ipod

wont be an easy task for a 233 G3

Why? The iPod can mp3s. and AACs.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    One thing that many people haven't thought of is recording. The iPod would be a kick a$$ device to use as a audio recorder. Also, it has the functionality in there already (hidden as it is), just no microphone. I don't see how it could take all that much to add an embedded microphone to the iPod, making it indespesible for meetings, school, or just note taking in general.

I do like the idea of backing up to the iPod. It almost screams for that functionality (large drive, FireWire interface, long battery life).
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

One thing that many people haven't thought of is recording. The iPod would be a kick a$$ device to use as a audio recorder. Also, it has the functionality in there already (hidden as it is), just no microphone.

Yeah this has been discussed many times on these boards just not yet on this thread, a quick search on appleinsider returned 178 results using the term ipod & record

iPod record feature by Christmas

Yeah it'd be cool and I think it's inevitable seeing as though it's already possible, however I think Apple would need to enable some sort of text input or ability to file and organise the stored clips.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    i dont get why someone hasnt created a 3rd party device that uses firewire to power a recorder, and then the recording is done on the HD directly. Isnt that possible? Would be great to have a small camera aboard too and have the iPod become a video recorder using the HD for storage.

If Apple were to do it, they would only release the best solution though...

If someone were to release a toy-like version, they'd make a small frikken fortune. 59.95$ for a video/audio recorder that is powered by the iPod...

never mind me.. I'll just keep dreaming...
  • Reply 40 of 43
    "30 GB ought to be enough for everyone!" :-)