Lets see, there's

Soccer.

Grid-Iron

Rugby Union.

Rugby League.

Irish Football.

Aussie Rules .

For my money the two best codes in terms of sheer watching enjoyment are

Irish Football & Aussie rules...both are fast, with lots of scoring, and real knuckling...and No padding..

But I wonder what others think...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Rugby Union of course - "the game they play in heaven".

If you want to find out why, just watch some of the World Cup being played later this year (October / November) in the best country on Earth (Australia).

Go the Wallabies!

Daabido
  • Reply 2 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by daabido

Rugby Union of course - "the game they play in heaven".

If you want to find out why, just watch some of the World Cup being played later this year (October / November) in the best country on Earth (Australia).

Go the Wallabies!

Daabido

Bum sniffers....
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Lets see, there's

Soccer.

Grid-Iron

Rugby Union.

Rugby League.

Irish Football.

Aussie Rules .

For my money the two best codes in terms of sheer watching enjoyment are

Irish Football & Aussie rules...both are fast, with lots of scoring, and real knuckling...and No padding..

But I wonder what others think...

Aussie Rules = Aerial ping pong
  • Reply 4 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    It depends on what you're looking for. I like Soccer/Football and American Rules Football. In one, it can be as artistic as ballet. In the other, I don't think there's much else on this planet that's as violent as the NFL.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Have you seen Aussie rules football Bunge? Legalised madness, with men in white coats on hand to ensure no fair play takes place. My vote is for Football, I used to play Rugby Union at school, luckily my turn of speed kept me away from the animals .
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alex London

Have you seen Aussie rules football Bunge?

Not in quite a long time. US football is just one of those games that if you grow up with it, it can get in your blood in a strange way. I'm sure all sports are like this really.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I'm sure you're completly right Bunge but not having grown up with U.S football I get a bit annoyed with the seperate offense and defense aspect. ( This is from memory, there are two separate squads per team -right ?) I like the idea of multi-tasking, if you don't make the yards you should have to stay on the pitch and suffer the consequences. Also the field goal, always right between the sticks, check out Rugby Union conversions, those boys have incredible spatial skills.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The separation of offense and defense players in American football is a more recent development, and many players below college ranks play both sides of the ball. As for violence, the NFL competes with the NHL for that title, with basketball and baseball knocking at the door. American football is pretty perverse IMO, certainly in scoring, extra point, hell the whole kicking team aspect, not to mention the fact that we still call it "football." But passing is quite fun. Other than the forward passing of American football (another fairly recent invention), rugby is more exciting.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

But passing is quite fun. Other than the forward passing of American football (another fairly recent invention), rugby is more exciting.

i hate to say it, but that's why i got so hooked on arena football. running the ball is akin to a trick play. plus, my home team, the tampa bay storm, have been league champs four times.

there's also canadian rules football, but for some reason, i could never get into it. just some bizarre rules (like why is the field 110 yards long? why do you get points for kicking a field goal but missing, as long as it goes through the end of the end zone? weird sh!t like that).
  • Reply 10 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Hockey.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hockey.

Your a bugger Moogs..I was waiting for someone to say Hockey......

I retired from football because my mum was concerned for my health...( too many reports of violence against ME..little olde me..bastard friggin umpires.....I even came home in a police car once ha ha..but they ( the cops ) loved footy so it was no big deal )

Dad said

" Son, I want you to find a gentler sport to play..for your mothers' sake "

To this day, I have absolutely no idea how they swallowed my line about hockey being all civilised...

What unudulterated mayhem..Yeeeowwyyy...

But let'snot get off track..

Hockey IS the best damm game with sticks as far as d eye can C....
  • Reply 12 of 12
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Your a bugger Moogs..I was waiting for someone to say Hockey......

I am ta please, naturally.

Quote:

To this day, I have absolutely no idea how they swallowed my line about hockey being all civilised...

What unudulterated mayhem..Yeeeowwyyy...But let'snot get off track..

Hockey IS the best damm game with sticks as far as d eye can C....

And then some! 8)