Adding ATA RAID 0 to a DP800 with SCSI Boot Drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a DP800 Quicksilver with a 72G SCSI hard drive that serves as the boot drive. Due to space limitations, I have installed two ATA133 hard drives, each 120GB. I desire to intall them as a RAID 0 and use them for video projects.

I first set the jumper switches on the ATA's so that there was an ATA master and an ATA slave (as recommended by an Apple Tech). The computer just gave me a gray screen, apparently (?) unable to recoginze that the original SCSI as the boot drive.

I then set the jumper switches on the ATA's both to "slave." The system booted, and the system profiler recognizes an ATA device on the Bus now:

"ATADeviceNub

Unit Number 1

ATA Device Type ata"

but Disk Utility does not "see" anything.

How do I get the Disk Utility to see the two ATA's so that I can format them and set up a RAID 0? Further, are these two separate steps? Do I format and then set up the RAID 0, or does setting up the RAID 0 automatically go through a formatting process?

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I would get a seperate Raid controller, for video a Hardware Raid 0 is much much much better than the software raid which comes with OS X. I recommend the Sonnet ATA raid controller. All the software comes with the controller, you won't have to worry about all the problems which you are experiencing now.

Edit: BTW, nice setup!! I'm going to get a DP800 one of these days!