Are 1.6's Available?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I saw a demo 1.6 showroom model at ComPUSA and MicroCenter here in KC last week. But no 1.6's for sale. Does anyone know if the 1.6 will be avaialable soon (other than the preorders)? Not sure I trust the sales reps who said "soon".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I saw a demo 1.6 showroom model at ComPUSA and MicroCenter here in KC last week. But no 1.6's for sale. Does anyone know if the 1.6 will be avaialable soon (other than the preorders)? Not sure I trust the sales reps who said "soon".

Got my 1.6 machine at Fry's on Saturday. It was the only machine they got. I have a feeling it was meant to be a demo. It was sealed. The sales guy said they were going to break it out but never got the okay to do so so he said I could buy it if I wanted.

I think I got lucky as hell.

I would seriously have to think some machines will get to stores by the end of this week. Mostly 1.6's I would giess but maybe some 1.8's as well.

It will be an eternity before you can pick up a dual off the shelf.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Most Apple Stores had them in stock for sale last Friday. Possibly all gone by now though. (My local store had 4 of the 1.6 and 1.8's).
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Just called my MacMall rep.

He THOUGHT he had a few in stock, found out that they were for local (LA) retail purchase only (they have a small store front in Cali).

He did some research and found out that they just fufilled 220+ back orders for the 1.6 (out of 400 = orders) and 1/2 of their 1.8 backorders. He said that another huge order of 1.6's and 1.8's is IN TRANSIT to the Macmall Memphis warehouse now. He thinks I may be able to get a 1.6 by the end of the week. Of course it will take a day or 2 to ship. He is making me a killer deal. $1919, no tax. Not bad. Looks like they will be out of the hole by next week, except for the HUGE 2.0 backorder problem. That's another story...

Keep in mind that Apple sells DIRECT to MacMall. No distribution channel involved. Talk about buying power!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    MacMall has always been good to me. Did they throw in extra RAM?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Usually with macmall items are availble both online and in there stores...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Macmall is pretty good.

Got a nice deal on my 20" Cinema Display there and have bought some other items from there as well.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    If you call MacMall, get Robert McDonald extension 7030. I have been his pal for years. Cool guy. Tell him you know Dan in KC.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Nice thread ! !

Thanks,

Dr. L
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I called yesterday my local reseller. he has some 1.6's in stock and reserved me one. I will pick it up on Friday
  • Reply 10 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    They had many at Apple Northshore, but I didn't buy because the sales tax on a G5 would better be spent on speakers or a mouse. So I reserved one at Rockingham Park, and I'm hoping it'll be in by Friday. But I can't be too expectant.

But I just can't wait.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    You can find them everywhere here in Belgium. At least the 1.6 and 1.8. I took an 1.6 today and boy this thing scream with inDesign ! This is coming from a Dual G4 1.25 ! So i'm quiet happy.

Here is some photos shoot : New G5

If you have some question, just ask 8)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    so, you know i just HAVE to link to these pictures, right? just to piss some people off...

• Reply 13 of 16
    Nice pictures Jeromba.

Here are a few of mine.

G5 pics
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Just went to the KC MicroCenter today (Weds) and they had two 1.6s and one 1.8 in boxes for sale. I'm holding out for the duals, but it was tempting seeing them there.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    I went to the MacMall store in Santa Monica today, they had at least 100 G5's in their store, several 1.8's as well.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheFox

Just went to the KC MicroCenter today (Weds) and they had two 1.6s and one 1.8 in boxes for sale. I'm holding out for the duals, but it was tempting seeing them there.

I check MicroCenter last week and they had NO 1.6's to sell, so I ordered a 1.6 from MacMall last night (Wed, Aug 3). It will be here Friday (Aug 5). I think MacMalls price is better than MicroCenter anyway. I will kick myself if MacMall ships late and I could have just went to MicroCenter and picked one up! Of course MacMall charges a little shipping (and I overnighted it too), but then again, MicroCenter charges tax of ~6.75% I think)