Apple tax on .Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In the process of renewing my .Mac membership I noticed that Apple is charging an 11% sales tax. What state is that in? My legal residence is in Virginia and the sales tax is nowhere near that high there.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    11% high?

Move to Britain. You'll soon learn to appreciate 11% sales tax

(It's 17.5% here)

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 30
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    California tax. It's ridicoulisly high, even though its at 8.25%.

Since Cupertino is in California, they probably have to charge California sales tax. I'm not sure though. Though I thought California had set a ban on internet sales tax for the next five years.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

California tax. It's ridicoulisly high.

Since Cupertino is in California, they probably have to charge California sales tax. I'm not sure though.

Well unless something changed and I have been too busy at work, I thought California state tax was 8.25%

Maybe it has changed and I've been in too much of a hole to notice it, but I doubt I would miss a hike of almost 3%
  • Reply 4 of 30
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    try 21% or something like that around here...

this sucks so much...
  • Reply 5 of 30
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    try 7.6% here?
  • Reply 6 of 30
    yeah Apple is based in Cupertino, CA, but even Cali sales tax isn't 11%.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Sales tax? What's that?

How are those civil liberties coming along?

Don't get me wrong- I love HK. I might go there for a week in december. Of course, it stinks that the mainland is milking you dry, thus keeping you in a recession and that your appointed leaders are perfectly willing to get rid of your civil liberties. Kind of a high price to pay for no sales tax.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

California tax. It's ridicoulisly high.

Since Cupertino is in California, they probably have to charge California sales tax. I'm not sure though.

Cupertino's tax rate is 8.25%, high for the USA (but lower than 11%).
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

try 21% or something like that around here...

this sucks so much...

Well, for my european friends, all I can say is that that truly does suck. Zo, Amorya, you need to hop on a plane to NY and to buy lots of hardware in the US, see some sights, and then head home. "Yes mr customs officer, this is my laptop that I purchased in the Eurozone..."

I have alot of European and Canadian coworkers. They like the US tax rates!
  • Reply 10 of 30
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Still no sales tax in New Hampshire.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Have you called Apple and asked for an explaination?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

11% high?

Move to Britain. You'll soon learn to appreciate 11% sales tax

(It's 17.5% here)

one BIG difference: when you see a price tagm it CONTAINS the vat. in US it never does.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

How are those civil liberties coming along?

Don't get me wrong- I love HK. I might go there for a week in december. Of course, it stinks that the mainland is milking you dry, thus keeping you in a recession and that your appointed leaders are perfectly willing to get rid of your civil liberties. Kind of a high price to pay for no sales tax.

you got to be joking. ask any one from HK and they will tell you that they are desparately welcoming the on slaught of mainland tourists spending money in HK nowadays. the British has sure as hell made a lot of money in HK- until a decade ago, any British bank can open in HK without applying for a license and anybody else had too. HSBC for years had only 20% of their assets in HK but HK contributed more than 40% to London's profits. The problems of HK today comes from the fact that the mainland does not need the various services provided by HK any more- trade trans-shipment, banking, legal and accounting services. Major western firms set up directly on the mainland and no longer using HK as a staging post. Property and stock market bubbles bursted. your comments should be based on facts and not jingoism.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    No - I haven't called Apple. 11% is outrageous! Here's what I get when I review my .Mac renewal settings:

Member Name: XXX

Credit Card No.: XXX

Membership Fees: 1 99.95 USD

Total Email Only Accounts: 1 10.00 USD

Email Storage: 15MB 0.00 USD

iDisk Storage: 100MB 0.00 USD

Subtotal 109.95 USD

Estimated Tax 12.09 USD

Estimated Total 122.04 USD

*A flat rate of 11.00% is applied to any .Mac internet purchase.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

Estimated Tax 12.09 USD

It says Estimated. They will change it to the correct amount when they actually charge your credit card.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

It says Estimated. They will change it to the correct amount when they actually charge your credit card.

I see that. But why is it estimated? Don't they know? And why 11%? What State in the Union charges an 11% sales tax on internet sales?

I could call them up and wait on hold for twenty minutes before getting an answer, but being otherwise engaged, I'll just wait until they bill me and see what really happens.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Well, for my european friends, all I can say is that that truly does suck. Zo, Amorya, you need to hop on a plane to NY and to buy lots of hardware in the US, see some sights, and then head home. "Yes mr customs officer, this is my laptop that I purchased in the Eurozone..."

Been there, done that

as long as you don't bring it still in its box, they're none the wiser!

Amorya
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

one BIG difference: when you see a price tagm it CONTAINS the vat. in US it never does.

Yeah, that's something. Although most magazine ads don't, and they put a disclaimer in 3 point text at the bottom of the page....

(it's the law here that prices must contain VAT or state that they don't)

Amorya
  • Reply 19 of 30
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    actually, I think its ONLY 19.5% here... my bad

its something like 23% in denmark I think... insane
  • Reply 20 of 30
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

actually, I think its ONLY 19.5% here... my bad

its something like 23% in denmark I think... insane

25%