Al Franken... Ashton Kutcher... both Liars?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The right's argument is that Al Franken is a Liar and a hypocrit because he sent a letter to over 20 people on the right and asked for their stories about Abstention.

And said many had already responded.

If your read the letter... or hear him read it here:

http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml...ate=09/03/2003

it's pretty obvious... he's not "lying" to get something over on someone.

My argument is that it's very different as a Satirist to "Lie" or pull someone's leg in a satiracle letter to the people you are mocking than it is to the readers of your book or to the public at large... the letter was put into the book way before anyone claimed he was lying. He is being FUNNY. No one responded to the letter... why? Because they KNEW it was a joke!

He's pointing out the hypocrisy of the Bush Administartion's endorsement of abstinate only sex ed. teaching. If they're so abstinate... lets hear their stories of no sex before marriage or of turning down sex. Those stories don't exist... hence.. the letter.

There's a big difference... between that and what Ann Coulter does and what Sean Hannity does... which is lie to their readers... to support their ideas.

If Al Franken is a Liar... then Ashton Kutcher is a big punk'd out liar! And that damn lying show Candid Camera!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

He's pointing out the hypocrisy of the Bush Administartion's endorsement of abstinate only sex ed. teaching. If they're so abstinate... lets hear their stories of no sex before marriage or of turning down sex. Those stories don't exist... hence.. the letter.

in a related funny note, someone near me is running for public office, and is promoting himself as a good, god-fearing, bible-beating business man who has four children and attends the local baptist church. i just want to ask him, "so, i take it you've only had sex four times in your life, right?"

• Reply 2 of 9
    Here's a funny take on the whole Fox versus Al Franken suit...

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...4876_db009.htm
  • Reply 3 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

in a related funny note, someone near me is running for public office, and is promoting himself as a good, god-fearing, bible-beating business man who has four children and attends the local baptist church. i just want to ask him, "so, i take it you've only had sex four times in your life, right?"

No, this kind of this is perfectly normal.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    WHOA! That's fricking hilarious.

I loved the one last year where God gives a shout out to his peeps.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Guido Sarducci (sp?) and the letters sent to Pesident ixon et al?

what were they called

They are similar to the Franken letters . . . no?!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Get your very own Pocket O'Reilly!

http://www.poisonskin.com/pocketprod...me/default.asp

Bully O'Liely... Wholly Without Merit
  • Reply 7 of 9
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Anybody get the Glick interview to work?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Anybody get the Glick interview to work?

it's windows media

I'd never seen it before. It's actually a pretty interesting reaction. O'Reilly basically has nothing to say, so he cuts the interview
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Guido Sarducci (sp?) and the letters sent to Pesident ixon et al?

what were they called

They are similar to the Franken letters . . . no?!

i have that book! the lazlo letters.....they we're hilarious!

wriiten during and just after watergate.

he always signed the letters "stand by our president!" or something like that.

my favorite was the letter to mcdonalds corp. asking why they gave a packet of jelly with an egg-mcmuffin.

mcdonalds replied that some people liked to remove the top part of the muffin and eat it with jelly.

to which lazlo wrote back complaining that he decided that it would also be good to do with a big mac, but his mcdonalds refused him jelly with his big mac.