G5 3 gig in 9 months?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Lets take a look at this.

Stevie boy says 3 gig G5 within a year on June 23 2003.

G5 2 gig's are not shipping until the end of Sept in any numbers which is the best case scenario as of today Sept 4.

That leaves 9 months to bump speeds from 2 - 3 gigs.

This means a speed bump will need to come in Jan - March to someplace in the 2.5 gig range.

Does any of that make sense.

Unfortunately I'm using a dinosaur and needed to upgrade 1 year ago but have been putting it off waiting for a G5. If your not desperate now, WAIT!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

Lets take a look at this.

Stevie boy says 3 gig G5 within a year on June 23 2003.

G5 2 gig's are not shipping until the end of Sept in any numbers which is the best case scenario as of today Sept 4.

That leaves 9 months to bump speeds from 2 - 3 gigs.

This means a speed bump will need to come in Jan - March to someplace in the 2.5 gig range.

Does any of that make sense.

Unfortunately I'm using a dinosaur and needed to upgrade 1 year ago but have been putting it off waiting for a G5. If your not desperate now, WAIT!

I thought he meant 1 year from the end of August ship date.

Either way it seems like there has 2 be an update in between.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Given Apple's propensity to lie about ship dates, I would expect Steve meant 1 year = 1 calendar year = 1 revolution around the sun ON PLUTO = 248 Earth years

And yes, I am a POed G5 DP customer.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    <<Stevie boy says 3 gig G5 within a year>>

I guess it all depends whether IBM is a "can-do" company or not. Moto certainly wasn't.

If IBM is, then dual 3.0s on store shelfs in plentiful numbers by 1 December 2004 seems reasonable.

Probably the first change in the G5 lineup will occur once the feeding frenzy for the dual 2.0s is over-- maybe mid November to early December. My wild guess would be that the 1.6 will drop to $1499, but no superdrive; the 1.8 will drop to $1999; a dual 1.8 at around $2399 or $2499 depending on video card and ram; and the 2.0 remaining the same price.

Also, shouldn't this topic be in future hardware?
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Don't take what ol' Stevie says as the truth.

Let's face it...this year wasn't really the year of the laptop...sur we got 12 and 17 inches at the beginning of the year...but that's it.

If anything, this was the year of the desktop...we've been waiting for the G5 for over 2 years now and we finally got it.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    I wouldn't be too surprised if IBM can deliver a 3 GHz G5 processor in 9 months time. They are probably doing early samples of both 970+ and 97x on a 90 nm fab as we speak. 970+ is rated +2.8 GHz on roadmaps and should be ready next summer. IBM said that 970 would do 1.8 GHz and Apple took it to 2 GHz. If IBM says 970+ will do 2.8 GHz, Apple just as well make it a 3 GHz chip.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    3 GHz by End of next August seems perfectly doable. Apple just needs to get one die shrink in, and then to sell two DP configurations so that people shy away from the more expensive dual 3GHz machine, meaning that they need less 3GHz CPUs. No problem. We are talking about IBM, not Moto here.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    umm, i just watched the developer keynote and i'm pretty sure he said "within 12 months". the stevenote was in july, so isn't it reasonable to assume we'll have hit ~3.0GHz in july 2004?

also, if Moore's 'Law' is to be taken into account (and we pretend it's about processor speed only), that is really not an impressive jump.

ToM
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by TaoOfMars

also, if Moore's 'Law' is to be taken into account (and we pretend it's about processor speed only), that is really not an impressive jump.

Moore didn't predict speed increases nor MHz-count, he predicted transistor count. And in that respect I think he well be proven wrong for the development of 970+ if IBM doesn't put 1 MB L2 cache in it, witch they just might do.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    It was an interesting announcement coming from SJ, since we usually don't get anywhere near that visibility in terms of future products. The fact that Jobs said 3GHz is coming means that he has a pretty good idea that we will get just that. So the question is, what are the speed bumps going to look like, and when are they coming? Here's a guess:

MWSF: 1.8, DP2.2, DP2.4

WWDC: 2.2, DP2.6, DP3.0

We know there can't really be an update until MWSF. And then that puts us on track for another bump at WWDC.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    I really don't see any speed bump until the 3 G jump next June/July/August. It makes no sense to fab 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 or some such speed machines. Especially since we are not dealing with the lame speed product line of the past, where a "jump" from DP 800 to DP 1 G made a big difference. there just really is no reason to have an intermediate update, and i don't really see it happening. Other product refeshes/revamps (iBook) will take center stage between now and WWDC 2004.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Gigawire

Quote:

I really don't see any speed bump until the 3 G jump next June/July/August. It makes no sense to fab 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 or some such speed machines. Especially since we are not dealing with the lame speed product line of the past, where a "jump" from DP 800 to DP 1 G made a big difference. there just really is no reason to have an intermediate update, and i don't really see it happening. Other product refeshes/revamps (iBook) will take center stage between now and WWDC 2004.

Ever seen Intel or AMD? The do even "lamer" speed bumps
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gigawire

I really don't see any speed bump until the 3 G jump next June/July/August. [SNIP]

You think Apple's going to jump a whole gigahertz at once? That's a nice fantasy, but it simply won't happen.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

You think Apple's going to jump a whole gigahertz at once? That's a nice fantasy, but it simply won't happen.

I also see no reason for an intermediate update. 12 months from June puts it 9 months after the 2GHz ships, and 9 months is not too long for a product update cycle- especially for a rev. A product.

IF they can make the 3Ghz PowerMac by July/August next year, it would only leave 4 months (or less) sales for the intermediate revision. And as everyone has been told about the 3Ghz models, why would anyone buy models that they know will be obsolete in 4 months?
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by AngryAngel

I also see no reason for an intermediate update. 12 months from June puts it 9 months after the 2GHz ships, and 9 months is not too long for a product update cycle- especially for a rev. A product.

IF they can make the 3Ghz PowerMac by July/August next year, it would only leave 4 months (or less) sales for the intermediate revision. And as everyone has been told about the 3Ghz models, why would anyone buy models that they know will be obsolete in 4 months?

because we'll be getting updates every 4 months from now on!

i can dream, can't i?
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by AngryAngel

Calling it an update may not be real accurate. It's just a higher clocked drop-in part.

Obsolete isn't the same thing as 'not top of the line'. Everybody knows at any time, a better computer will be for sale in months if not weeks.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

Agreed. Apple will have an incremental revision where they will bump the CPU speeds to the mid 2GHz range. Perhaps they will use this as an opportunity to ship two dual processor machines. I can't believe that they only shipped one DP machine. What were they thinking?
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by TaoOfMars

because we'll be getting updates every 4 months from now on!

i can dream, can't i?

Every 6 months would me more reasonable. Every 4 months would just be chaos.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    /me dropkicks thread to Future Hardware.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Let's face it...this year wasn't really the year of the laptop...sur we got 12 and 17 inches at the beginning of the year...but that's it.

If anything, this was the year of the desktop...we've been waiting for the G5 for over 2 years now and we finally got it.

It *was* the year of the laptop, this has been discussed to death. Research laptop sales for Apple and PC makers to see laptop sales outpaced desktop sales for the first time *ever*. Thus the *year of the laptop*.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

This has been written so many times before but here we go again. The year of the laptop was referring to SALES which this year have been stronger on the portable product-line than on the stationary one. That's all.