Illustrator Drawings

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I create drawings in Illustrator. I want to make the head of a cardinal. I have the old logo to base my work off of. I just need to figure out to use it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Whoa, that's not really a topic that can be tackled in this thread. I don't even think decent tutorials online exist. If you don't know, RTFM or buy a book.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah. I wouldn't put it as bluntly as LoCash, but that's kinda like asking the tour guide at the Kennedy Space Center "how do I fly this Space Shuttle?"

Lots of good books out there (but expensive).

I like this site: mostly a forum, BUT you'll come across tutorials and links from there to other places too. Actually, that's probably a good place to post your cardinal question because that entire site is devoted to Illustrator:

http://www.pixelparity.org/index.php?board=19

Also, check Adobe.com's Illustrator section. They have a whole "tips and tutorial" section.

And there's always google.com. Type in "Adobe Illustrator tutorials" or "...training". Or get specific: "creating art in Adobe Illustrator" or "Illustrator pen tool tutorial".

Walk before you can run. And learn the pen tool like the back of your hand. It is your friend and there won't be anything you can't draw when you get the hang of it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

...learn the pen tool like the back of your hand. It is your friend and there won't be anything you can't draw when you get the hang of it.

too true, after I got this figured out in illustrator some years ago, I favored this program over photoshop for much of my logodesign... it will be a frusterating begining,..but well-worth it.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, the precision and control you get with Illustrator is really nice. Even though a logo or illustration might wind up in Photoshop for "finishing touches" or whatever, I would never dream of starting the project in anything other than Illustrator: the type control, the precise rotating, skewing, reflecting, scaling, the Pathfinders, etc. all make it ideal for logo design and anything requiring any sort of precision and exactness.

If I'm doing something that I know will eventually be finished up in Photoshop, I will create a layered Illustrator file and build the basic framework and elements, then export that to Photoshop (layers intact) for any adding of photorealistic touches like shadows, "aging", reflections, chroming, etc. Best of both worlds, using the two together.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    CreativeMac.com also has a number of online tutorials for various graphics and video apps. Maybe ther is an Illustrator tutorial that will help. I'm just learning Illustrator myself coming from a mostly AppleWorks background, so I know the pain.

I don't know what your final effect is supposed to be, but StudioArtist is a neat program for cloning original graphics using a mind-numbing number of output options. But, most are very "painting-like." I've used it to redraw simple artwork from Illustrator to make versions that look hand painted, sketched, etc. But, probably I'm just adding to your confusion so I'll stop here.