What's Your Favourite Dock Icon?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was posting in another thread and this idea came to me, it was mentioned that QuickTime movies when minimised to the dock still play in the dock and I was wondering what people's favourite program was for using the dock in this way.

At varying times i've had these docklings in my dock:

CPU Load

Computer Uptime

and I like how iCal shows the current date as it's icon, Mail will display the number of unread messages and Print Center gives a visual cue to what your printer should be doing

So any other cool one's out there?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    In PhotoShop the Dock Icon will show the progress bar if you are saving a file. I thought this is very helpful so I can switch to another application and work on something else and still be able to tell when my PhotoShop file is done saving. I can't recall but I am guessing that this is true for most of Adobe's applications.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr VanNostran

In PhotoShop the Dock Icon will show the progress bar if you are saving a file. I thought this is very helpful so I can switch to another application and work on something else and still be able to tell when my PhotoShop file is done saving. I can't recall but I am guessing that this is true for most of Adobe's applications.

Yeah Toast has a similar thing when burning disc's.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    QuickTime Player continuing to play movies is probably the coolest, but also nice:

- OmniWeb refreshes a minimized web page after it loads -- very cool (and something I wish Safari would do \)

- for pure utility, Mail's badge icon is invaluable -- dock badging, when appropriate, is one of my favorite ideas in OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Adium will not only flash when you receive an IM, but it will also show a red circle with the person's name when they logs off or a green circle with the name when they log on, and if you receive a new IM from someone you haven't started chatting with yet, it has a blue circle with the person's name on the icon.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    i like when you have an ichat going and you put it in the dock (during a pause) their little tiny head appears.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    cleaner's Dock icon tells you exactly how it's progressing: invaluable if you've got a big batch of transcodes in progress and want to surf in the meantime...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Adium will not only flash when you receive an IM, but it will also show a red circle with the person's name when they logs off or a green circle with the name when they log on, and if you receive a new IM from someone you haven't started chatting with yet, it has a blue circle with the person's name on the icon.

That's one of the things I love about Adium! 8)

Photoshop also has a progress bar in its dock icon while it's doing something. I kinda like that, but it always disappears too fast.