Ha ha ha... poor M$

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Oh man. I'm sorry if this has aready been posted but this is the funniest thing I have seen in a while. The headline is great. Poor M$ can't take the possibility of Japan producing it's own version of Linux. Poor poor M$ Pacific....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That's great! MS is a bunch of money-grabbing hypocrites... ugh.

Anyway, I like how they promote their "Government Security Program" which gives "controlled access" to parts of their source code, thus allowing an independent party to look for security flaws. They don't really have a leg to stand on... yeah, they'll let governments see parts of their source code IF they spend plenty of money, but Linux is open source so ANYONE can see ALL of the source. It just doesn't make sense.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    It's actually a consortium of Japan, China and South Korea. That's a VERY large market looking for a secure, open sourced based, non-MS operating system.

Paging Steve...
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Very interesting. But from what I see this doesn't look to be a situation where Jobs can just step in and say "Hey, what about OS X?"

Who knows though? I'm certain he's aware of this and if there is an opportunity here, he'll make a go at it.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Microsoft Watch also has information about the Windows competitor, including a blurb saying an alternative to Office is also being considered.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Very interesting. But from what I see this doesn't look to be a situation where Jobs can just step in and say "Hey, what about OS X?"

Why not?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I would liken this to SuSE's role in the German government. Mac OS X is far too proprietary for the task...it means core development has to go through Cupertino. Not gunna happen. It's just going to be an Asian government endorsed Linux distro...big whoop.

Apple might be interested, but China, Japan, Korea, etc. are not.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I think this is a fantastic idea. Not only because it seriously questions M$'s future dominance in the computer industry, but they should really have their own OS. I mean, how do you have an operating system tailored to the needs of the entire world? I have often wondered how Asia finds using an OS designed by americans.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    As for China. They go for Linux is mostly due to politic. Security is only the second.

But anyway.....the fewer countries using M$ stuff, the better
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Why not?

because all these countries aren't gonna buy expensive apple hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Even if the three countries are only making a modified linux, I think a more heterogenous environment will benefit Apple and Apple users. I believe it would be easier to gain market share in a 20% Linux, 80% Windows environment than a 100% Windows environment.

In addition to that, if the countries put serious effort into it, they might cook up a pretty cool system.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    personally I would love to see millions of dollars pour into open source. especially open office... apple does not have the market share to compete against M$.

Linux will one day though!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I'm all for it. OS and GUI design has been a largely American and European endeavor for the last several decades. Even if they use Linux at the core, a new infusion of ideas from the minds of other cultures could affect some very positive change.

To be sure, Apple lifted Mach and BSD and look at what they have done with them! Who knows what new GUI concepts could come out of this endeavor, if it happens?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    It would be very nice to see some money put towards OpenOffice, but I think M$ would accelerate it's DRM plans, in effect closing off programs like OpenOffice from using M$ produced docs.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    just as long as Sony does not have a big part in actually making the os, there hardware is great but there software usually sucks.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    M$ complaining about the Asian gov's even handed approach to OS development?

This from the same company that uses unfair practices to cripple competitors?

Irony. I'm really broken up.

Gee, the 2nd biggest market in the world just gave the world's 'dominating'(!) OS a kick in the jegs.

Say, anybody noticing a sea change against M$ in the media these days? I wonder how many 'so bigs' you can take before you say enough is enough. Apple's getting more positive press than they have in ages. Even in business rags...

Keep going, Apple!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 16 of 16
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Somehow, I think that this new OS will not be able to take off.... There will be too many complications such as software compatability.

But still, I support any moves that make MS unhappy.