A Quick Question Regarding Upgrades

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I did a search for a similiar topic and couldn't find one, if I didn't search well enough I apologize in advance for creating a useless thread.

I'm a huge proponent of Macs. When my mother wanted to buy a laptop I lobbied (successfully) for her to get an iBook. When someone asks if they should get a Dell or a Gateway or have me build a box for them my usual answer is, "Get a Mac." You may have noticed that I didn't say that I own one. I don't. I probably will someday. But right now I only get on a machine every now and again to re test-drive it so to speak.

This is the main, if not only, reason I am very hesitant to but an Apple computer: Upgrades. I fully understand why Apple, being a hardware company, does not sell components and I agree entirely with their reasoning. It would be a business world Hari Kari. But, that being said, I cannot find a suitable explanation as to why a processor upgrade can only be achieved by buying an entirely new system. I've read somewhere that there are some third-party vendors that will upgrade chips (but was also told that doing so was risking the entire system) but again, I can't seem to bring myself to justify why a third-party vendor would be needed for, what is to me and probably the vast majority of Mac users, a simple chip swap.

Of the PC users (please don't read that as only Windows users, although there were many of them to) I've spoke with about migrating to Macs this is a fairly large sticking point. Maybe not as large as I see it but yet and still a non-option that makes contemplating a trasition a little less enticing.

If there is someone, or preferably as many people as possible, that could explain to me either a) the logic (no pun intended) behind this or b) the thing that I am missing that would open my eyes to the notion that a clock / bus / cache boost should mean everything gets gets scraped in the process I would be greatly appreciative.

Someday, when the time is right I may exchange my trusty Linux boxen for a sweet Mac tower or laptop as an everyday / all day machine. I just need to know what options I'm risking if any.

Thanks.

Chuck

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    1. Grammar check your posts.

2. Genius Bar is the name of this forum... NOT General Discussion.

3. Welcome to Apple Insider!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    He realized it was posted in the wrong place. He reposted it in General Discussion. I guess this thread can just be deleted or locked or something.

But thanks for noticing. And welcome to AI, LinuxLover!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    and the great LoCash, formerly the benevolent M3D Jack, said, "Let this thread be locked!"

... And so it was locked.