using raptor 10k as boot drive on the G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
so I picked up a 1.8/20"acd today, and on the way home got a WD Raptor 10k Sata harddrive & 512mb memory.

I wanted to make the raptor the primary boot/os drive and move the original 120gb drive for space.

Not sure how to do this...

Can I boot off the os x cd and chose reinstallon to the raptor, then reformat the 120gb drive?

Can somebody offer some assistance? I haven't been using mac for a few years, but thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It shouldn't be too difficult, just time-consuming. Here's what I'd do:

1. Boot from the OS X installation CD you got with the computer.

2. When given a choice of which disk to use, choose the Raptor.

3. Boot into OS X from the Raptor's OS X installation. If it boots from the other hard drive, go into the System Preferences and choose the "Startup Disk" pane. A list of disks appears. Click on the Raptor (whatever it's named) and click the "Save and Restart" button. This will restart your computer and boot off the Raptor.

4. Now that you're booted from the Raptor, move any data you want between your drives. As long as you don't go back into the Startup Disk preference pane, it'll remember the same startup disk that you used last time.

5. To save space on the other drive, you should probably move any data you want over to the Raptor and then reformat the other drive. Normally you have to boot from a CD to reformat a disk, but since you're already booted from a different drive, you should be able to do it without booting from the CD. Just make sure you've gotten all your data off the drive before you wipe it.

Good luck, and enjoy your G5! You're certainly the envy of many an AI'er.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Actually, the original drive is 160 MB.

I switched out my 1.6 for a 1.8.

Like the extra snap, having a bigger HD, more memory slots, and the faster PCI slots.

400 bucks more.

I spent this much, what the hell?

• Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by detah

Can I boot off the os x cd and chose reinstallon to the raptor, then reformat the 120gb drive?

Yes. And you won't even have to munge around with jumper settings or anything when you install the drive. Just choose the Raptor from the OS X installer, then it'll boot to that drive when the install is done. Then you can use Disk Utility to erase the other disk.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Tell us how it goes. Was thinking of buying a Raptor for my current machine. Congrats on the new G5.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Why not just use Carbon Copy Cloner? Clone the drive over to your new drive, and then boot to it and format the 160 stock drive?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    just booted from cd, partitioned the raptor, installed os x, booted and erased the 160. The original install had demoes for Office X and maybe other stuff I wasn't interested in so...

I've yet to get my LynxTwo soundcard for it, so I'm not sure how good a daw it will turn out to be. It sure is a nice piece of machinery, very quick & quiet.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by detah

The original install had demoes for Office X and maybe other stuff I wasn't interested in so...

All that stuff should be on the restore DVD and/or the Applications CD.