2 Questions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The first one is how do i password protect a folder?

the second one is, it says my safari beta is expired, i go to apple website and re-dl safari, and its expired, software update has nothing what do i do?

thanks

logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Empty your cache, it could be downloading an old version.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Empty your cache, it could be downloading an old version.

how do i do that?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

how do i do that?

Menu Bar > Safari > Empty Cache... > OK
  • Reply 4 of 11
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah...go figure, huh?

Damn those Apple software people and their TOTAL lack of irony! I mean, to actually call it "Empty Cache..." when that's what it does! Where's the innovation? Where the pizzaz?

They're slipping, I tell ya...

• Reply 5 of 11
    It's supposed to come with Pizza ?!?!?!?!?!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

It's supposed to come with Pizza ?!?!?!?!?!

"pe*zasz" you know like zing, bite, punch, tang, sparkle, chrome, finish, ice, icing, etc...

EDIT: I almost forgot Bling Bling!

BTW pscates... don't diss a noob... it is not there fault and you aren?t helping any with the slander.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

You don't.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

What you can do for this is to turn the folder into a disk-image file (.dmg) that is encrypted and password protect that. When you have such a file, you click on it, enter the password you setup, and it will "mount" on your desktop as another volume. And if you like, you can choose to make it read-only as well.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

You don't.

Create a disk image with Disk Copy (in your Utilities folder) and put the folder in the disk image. When you create the image you have the option to require a password. This option encrypts the data so that it is safe from inspection by any normal means.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    if you are in a multi-user environment, then you can change the permissions on the folder to only allow the owner (you) to touch them, and give no one else access. not exactly like what you want, i guess, but its something. to access the folder, a person would have to get your password, or root access. the disk image idea is probably better. i just thougth i'd throw this idea in.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I'm trying to remember OS 9 didn't have password prtection of folders but couldn't you encrypt files without having to use disk copy, wasn't it in the OS? Did this (if i'm not dreaming it up) make it in OS X?

Plus perhaps Apple ought to implement this feature in something like Keychain Access, because i'm sure there's call for it. I tried mucking about in there but there's nothing like setting up password protection for folders or files, it's simply only a store of passwords which can be password protected \