will my PC stuff (memory, hard drives) work in my new G4?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I just made the leap and switched. However, I have a few questions. Right now I have a PC that has a gig of ram (2x512 DDR 2100) and 240gbs of hard drive space (3x80gb western digital ata/100 ide).

Now, I will be able to move over the drives no problem right? I don't plan on keeping the data so formatting isnt a problem.

Also, the more important question, will the ram work in my MDD DP1.25ghz (oh man, I just did a little reading and found that the bus for the 1.25ghz is 167 so I'm guessing not.. but please tell me otherwise.. please!)

If the memory won't work in my new mac, then I ask you is Kingston or whatever memory I can get at my local CompUSA good enough? I've had ram do evil things to systems I've had in the past but right now I'm a bit strapped for cash and I don't want to order on the net.

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The drives will work. If the ram is the right type (Do MDD towers use DDR 2100?) then that will also work.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Well, the G4 comes with PC2700 memory in the default configuration, however I heard somewhere that PC2700 is overkill and that there is a bottleneck somewhere else that renders it not used to its full extent. However... I don't know all that much about what I'm talking about so I'm guessing I'm going to have to make a trip to the store.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    um i'm not sure your drives will work either, I know it can see fat32 volumes on stuff like zip drives and such. maybe so? if you have to get files off try keeping your pc around to burn to cd's just in case.

edit: I didn't read your post correctly sorry. yeah you're hard-drives work. yes any ole' ram will work if that doesn't, I have your RAM will work, it will not hurt it if you try.

Disclaimer - if you try anything I say I am not held responible hehe.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Yes, the hard drives will work without problems.

The memory...I THINK it will work. I do know it wouldn't hurt to try it.