screensaver allows screenshots w/o password

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is this true on other computers? In Mac OS X 10.2.6 on this computer, it is possible to cover the desktop with screenshots of the screensaver, without needing to type in the password. This means, for example, that somebody could actually use the computer (taking screenshots) without permission.

System preferences / Screen effects / Activation / "Use my user account password" is set to on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Just tried it for myself, and the answer is yes, this can actually be done.

I'm thinking that needs a little fix..\
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Can anyone with Panther check and see if it's still there?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Huh?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Oooh, so people can take unauthorized screen shots of the screen saver. Major security breach!!!! Call the government to report it!!! This must be fixed!!!!

• Reply 5 of 12
    I think he means that you can take a screen shot of the desktop... well then just dont put anything on your dekstop that you dont want anyone to see... and who would know this trick anyway
  • Reply 6 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

I think he means that you can take a screen shot of the desktop... well then just dont put anything on your dekstop that you dont want anyone to see... and who would know this trick anyway

The person taking the screenshot wouldn't have access to it anyway.

The solution of course is to lock your Desktop and not use it. If you turn off write permission to your Desktop for your own user, the screenshot feature is effectively disabled. You shouldn't use the Desktop anyway.

It would perhaps be more alarming if you could take the screenshot as another user from the command-line screencapture command. However, screencapture only works when you are the owner of the current windowserver session...or a privileged user.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    A good April Fools was to take a screenshot of somebody else's desktop, and then use it as 'wallpaper'. Move the dock to another location and hide it. They will sit for hours trying to open applications in the dock (which lies elsewhere hidden away!!)

If you haven't guessed already this will only work if the dock is normally visible.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You have to take your pranks farther...

Step 1. Take a screen shot of their desktop

Step 2: Set the screen shot as their desktop background

Step 3: Move the dock somehow to make it difficult to find

Step 4: If they choose to display disks on their desktop, go into Finder preferences and make the disks hidden. The screenshot will make it look as though the disks are there, but clicking on them will do nothing.

Step 5: Go into the "International" preference pane and change it so numbers are displayed differently... for example, instead of a comma to separate every three digits in a long number, change it to a number, like 6. Then set the decimal point to the number 4 instead. It'll confuse the hell out of them next time they try to use the calculator.

Step 6: Find two applications, one that they use all the time and another they never, or rarely, use. Switch their icons (using a blank folder as a storage space for one of the icons while you move them) and their names. That should be fun

Step 7: Set a bunch of universal access settings, like Sticky Keys, Mouse Keys, Slow Keys, etc. Play around to achieve the desired effect.

There's a lot more. Have fun!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

You have to take your pranks farther...

Step 1. Take a screen shot of their desktop

Step 2: Set the screen shot as their desktop background

Step 3: Move the dock somehow to make it difficult to find

Step 4: If they choose to display disks on their desktop, go into Finder preferences and make the disks hidden. The screenshot will make it look as though the disks are there, but clicking on them will do nothing.

Step 5: Go into the "International" preference pane and change it so numbers are displayed differently... for example, instead of a comma to separate every three digits in a long number, change it to a number, like 6. Then set the decimal point to the number 4 instead. It'll confuse the hell out of them next time they try to use the calculator.

Step 6: Find two applications, one that they use all the time and another they never, or rarely, use. Switch their icons (using a blank folder as a storage space for one of the icons while you move them) and their names. That should be fun

Step 7: Set a bunch of universal access settings, like Sticky Keys, Mouse Keys, Slow Keys, etc. Play around to achieve the desired effect.

There's a lot more. Have fun!

My favorite is to delve in to the OS and change the "volume" file that makes the clicking noise when you hit the volume keys on the keyboard.

I work on a tv show and I did this to a co-worker. I replaced it with a recording of one of the characters cursing. Everytime he hits one of the volume keys you here it all through the hallway. I have heard him asking several people to try and fix it, but most of them only know how to change the alert sounds.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I used to really enjoy (in OS9) the old "record two minutes of silence and set it as the alert sound" trick. It would render the computer useless for the duration of the alert. Most people would get frustrated and restart. Haven't tried it in OSX, but I'm going to now.

And what in the hell happened to machacks.com ??
  • Reply 11 of 12
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    It takes a picture of the screen saver. This isn't a huge security breach, but someone could always put a whole bunch of PDF's on your desktop if they wanted to, of the screen saver.

Even though I don't think it's that serious, it should be fixed anyway. Unless you want a picture of your screen saver.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

It takes a picture of the screen saver. This isn't a huge security breach, but someone could always put a whole bunch of PDF's on your desktop if they wanted to, of the screen saver.

Even though I don't think it's that serious, it should be fixed anyway. Unless you want a picture of your screen saver.

*ding ding ding ding* that is why that feature is there