What happens if I don't renew .mac?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Alright- I've been using .mac for a year now and my contract is about to expire.



I don't think I'm going to renew because of a few reasons:



A. All I really use is the e-mail address. I use the iDisk for web galleries, but my university gives us 50 megs free anyway.



B. I don't really have the extra money right now to spend $100/year for an e-mail address so...



What happens if I don't renew? Can I still use "[email protected]" for my AIM account? Can I use that for the iTMS? What about ordering prints from iPhoto?



Apple really needs to lower the price I think or just offer a mail only account...

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 14
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    AIM yes will still function with your .Mac address. iTMS and iPhoto will need a different email address since the .Mac address will no longer function.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I hope that Apple lowers the price. Everyone will be starting to renew in a few weeks, and Apple must know that .Mac is waaaaay too expensive. I'm thinking of just signing up for my own domain name and using that as my email address.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    It is expensive. Fortunately, I'll be able to get it for $69 because I had a friend sign up and she entered my name as the person who told her about it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    I really don't use much more than email and a bit of idisk. Apple really needs to offer a .mac light (email only, maybe a small amount of idisk, no software, etc).



    Is there anyway that i can mak myself eligable for the discounted .mac you get after buying a new machine? I will be buying a new machine very soon and my .mac is expiring very soon.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I decided to keep that CompUSA gift card I was trying to sell and I used part of it to get the .mac "retail box" that I can use to renew. I'm glad I used it that way because I really want to use .mac, but the $100 would have been hard to justify at this point (not because it's not worth it, but because $$ is a little tight right now).
  • Reply 6 of 14
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by tacojohn

    What happens if I don't renew .mac?



    Steve Jobs will suck all of the blood out of your body through your left nipple.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by bunge

    Steve Jobs will suck all of the blood out of your body through your left nipple.



  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Cosmo

    I really don't use much more than email and a bit of idisk. Apple really needs to offer a .mac light (email only, maybe a small amount of idisk, no software, etc).



    Is there anyway that i can mak myself eligable for the discounted .mac you get after buying a new machine? I will be buying a new machine very soon and my .mac is expiring very soon.




    I too only really use the email, and it's so much hassle to change email addresses that I can't see why I can't renew, but I do think the price is too high for what I use it for, I'm glad they introduced the "get a friend to sign up scheme" but I don't know anyone signing up for .mac



    I didn't know there was a discount for people who just bought a new machine, I just bought one myself anybody know more about this?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    What's the actual renewal date for those of us who switched from iTools right away? I know it's basically sometime in October, but what was the actual date?



    I ask, because if it's somewhere in the middle of the month I might be able to afford it. :P
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kesh

    What's the actual renewal date for those of us who switched from iTools right away? I know it's basically sometime in October, but what was the actual date?



    I ask, because if it's somewhere in the middle of the month I might be able to afford it. :P




    I have 53 days left, but that is because they screwed up my billing and charged me the full $100 and then had 2 refund me, they gave me an extra month or 2 (maybe even 3, i can't remember) for my trouble
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by CubeDude

    I hope that Apple lowers the price. Everyone will be starting to renew in a few weeks, and Apple must know that .Mac is waaaaay too expensive.



    $8.25/month
  • Reply 12 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Kesh

    What's the actual renewal date for those of us who switched from iTools right away? I know it's basically sometime in October, but what was the actual date?



    I ask, because if it's somewhere in the middle of the month I might be able to afford it. :P




    I renewed yesterday and the year starts Oct. 12th. I signed up right away and they gave us all extensions to then, I think.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Dale Sorel

    $8.25/month



    quite honestly, i would rather they bill us that, i can guarantee you that roughly half of anyone who used itools would more than just reconsider .mac if you could opt for monthly billing vs 100$ up front. for alot of us, 8.25/mo for 12 is chicken scratch and 100$ up front is a knee to the groin.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    akacakac Posts: 510member
    Yeah, but the problem with that is that APple is giving several pieces of software away for free and if people could sign up for 8.25 and get those $20 software apps for free and then cancel their credit card, it would be a major money losing venture for Apple. They need to guarantee that $99.
Sign In or Register to comment.