Warren Zevon 1947 - 2003

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
"and if california slides in to the ocean, like the mystics and statistics say it will.....i believe this hotel will be standing until i pay my bill"

"I believe Warren Zevon is the only man in the history of human communication to use the word 'brucellosis' in a song." --David Letterman

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

"and if california slides in to the ocean, like the mystics and statistics say they will.....i believe this hotel will be standing until i pay my bill"

"I believe Warren Zevon is the only man in the history of human communication to use the word 'brucellosis' in a song." --David Letterman

I knew it was coming, but I'm still sad. I've been listening to The Wind since it came out. I can't think of another artist that used their own death for inspiration for such a hopeful album.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I met him twice. There was no one like him.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

[i]

"I believe Warren Zevon is the only man in the history of human communication to use the word 'brucellosis' in a song." --David Letterman [/B]

sad. at least he made it this long i guess. when did he die? yesterday?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

sad. at least he made it this long i guess. when did he die? yesterday?

sunday afternnon in his sleep.

he lasted a year after he was diagnosed to live 3 months.

to which he said "i don't believe anyone should be able to tell you how long you have to live.....unless they're holding a gun"

i wonder if letterman will rerun the warren only show.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

sunday afternnon in his sleep.

he lasted a year after he was diagnosed to live 3 months.

to which he said "i don't believe anyone should be able to tell you how long you have to live.....unless they're holding a gun"

i wonder if letterman will rerun the warren only show.

yea, that's what i was wondering too.

must find a tv to watch tonight
  • Reply 6 of 16
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    R.I.P.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    i'm going to play werewolves of london in his memory. maybe a few cover versions as well. its the only song i think i have of his.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    All the Warren haters in the world can go rot in hell. He needs the company now.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    He left his mark here in Philly...

Used to have an apartment overlooking Rittenhouse Square during his liquor-filled period. I know some who remember him venturing out to the square and around the sleazy bars here...

R.I.P. My next drink will be for Warren...and the next...and the next...
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I've already toasted a lot of drinks in his honor. It feels good.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Sounds like he was a great guy. Suprisingly, I'd never heard of him. What well-known songs has he done that I might have heard of?

BTW, they just replayed a song he sang on Letterman. I can tell why people like him so much. Dave was certainly fond of him and started choking up earlier in the show when speaking of him.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    My favorite was always "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner"

Great storytelling in his songs.

Rest In Peace brother.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Sounds like he was a great guy. Suprisingly, I'd never heard of him. What well-known songs has he done that I might have heard of?

BTW, they just replayed a song he sang on Letterman. I can tell why people like him so much. Dave was certainly fond of him and started choking up earlier in the show when speaking of him.

well "werewolves of london" was a pretty big hit, but what "short people"

was to randy newman, "werewolves" was to warren. didn't begin to tell the whole story.

my favorite is still the first album, "the french inhaler" was the soundtrack to my life after my first marriage.

"empty-handed heart" still makes the hairs on my neck stand up. i smile when i hear bill lee, the saga of a major league pitcher ("you're s'posed to sit on your ass and nod at stupid things, man that's hard to do....")

laugh out loud at "the hockey song" which features letterman on the chorus screaming HIT SOMEBODY!!!

maybe others can list their favorites.

if i had to simplify him, distill him, if you will, at his best he was the hemingway of rock and roll at his worst the hunter s. thompson. either way it wasn't bad.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Didn't Zevon recently collaborate with Tom Waits?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

He had a great sense of melody and a novelists eye for detail. Songs like Seminole Bingo and Mr. Bad Example are full of small observations that make the characters come alive.

Still, he is probably best know for covers other people did of his songs. Linda Ronstadt did Poor Poor Pitiful Me and Carmelita. He made more money as a song writer than a singer.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Well, I've seen all there is to see

And I've heard all they have to say

I've done everything I wanted to do . . .

I've done that too

And it ain't that pretty at all

Ain't that pretty at all

So I'm going to hurl myself against the wall

Cause I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all

You know, I just had a short vacation, Roy

Spent it getting a root canal

Oh, how'd you like it?

Well, it ain't that pretty at all

So I'm going to hurl myself against the wall

Cause I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all

Gonna get a good running start and throw myself at the wall as hard as I can man

I've been to Paris

I've been to Rome

Guess what?

I'd like to go back to Paris someday and visit the Louvre Museum

Get a good running start and hurl myself at the wall

Going to hurl myself against the wall

Cause I'd rather feel bad than feel nothing at all

Ain't that pretty at all