Installing Jaguar on original iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone. My friend got a original iMac from someone we know. I installed a Sonnet Harmoni card, a new HD and 512MB of ram.

Before I put that stuff in, I tried installing jaguar. It installed fine, but on its first boot, it goes to the Apple logo then it gets all jarbled up, then nothing. It just stays at the jarbled up screen. It does that with the new hardware too. Is there something I am missing?

Any help would be great!! Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Remove any non original stuff. Install 10.2, reinsert new kit. Haven't had problems with drives though.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    could you explain this "jarble". does the screen change colors? does just the apple "jarble"?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    dobby: it showed the same problem with all the original hardware.

thuh Freak: The whole screen gets messed up. It looks like big chucks of colored noise...kinad like TV static, but stretched horizantally. Kinda hard to explain, but that is the best I could come up with.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    That first boot works reminds me of what happened when I tried this on an original iMac with a third-party drive.

Is the new drive over 8GB? If so, you will need to partition it and have the first partition be under 8GB.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106235
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Is the new drive over 8GB? If so, you will need to partition it and have the first partition be under 8GB.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106235

i doubt that 8G thing is the problem. when i had an over 8G in an imac, it wouldn't even let me install until i partitioned. worth a try though if the drive is over 8G tho.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I run Jag on an all-origional iMac 233 (OK, it has 192 MB ram) ... so you're conflicts are not a machine compatibility problem.

I'd start by putting in a known good ram module .... bad ram COULD cause a problem like that. (among others)