Vector Shadowing?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why can't gradients be vector based? PS, InDesign, and Illustrator all use bitmap fading it seems. Is there a reason?

They do right...I don't THINK I'm wrong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    I don't really know if this is correct, but I think it has something to do with use of bezier curves in vector programs. Think about it - you need the blend to *bend* (i'm clutching at straws here...) around the vector outline of your object - something which would be very computationally demanding. On the other hand, I can see how it could work - by specifying a boundary path for the shadow to 'extend' out to. I'll shut up now
  • Reply 2 of 6
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    you can make vector blendings in illustrator. You just need a lot of them. But illustrator can do that automatically.

Also isn't the normal gradients and the mesh tool vector based?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    I don't really know if this is correct, but I think it has something to do with use of bezier curves in vector programs. Think about it - you need the blend to *bend* (i'm clutching at straws here...) around the vector outline of your object - something which would be very computationally demanding. On the other hand, I can see how it could work - by specifying a boundary path for the shadow to 'extend' out to. I'll shut up now
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Gradients created in Illustrator are vectors. Gradients created in PhotoShop are of course rastered being that PhotoShop is geared mostly towards generating rastered artwork (although it can also create vectors too). I am not sure about InDesign but I am pretty sure it is creating vectored gradients.

Your topic was Vectored Shadowing. Are you talking about the feature in Illustrator and InDesign that creates an automatic drop shadow of the selected object? The drop shadow that is created is a rastered image even in Illustrator. In Illustator you can always tell what is vectored and what is rastered by looking at the Links tab and it will show all of the rastered art work even if it is embedded into your file and is not really linked it will show up in the Links tab. If something doesn't appear in the Links then it is vectored. And Illustrator and InDesign will both create rastered drop shadows for vectored objects.

Hope that this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    What he said.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I believe Adobe's SVG does not rely on rasterisation to produce drop shadow effects.