IP Priting (Windows 2000) or Gimp-Print

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Anyone know the particular setup for accessing a shared printer (Say an epson photo 820) from a windows 2000 system? i have tried setting it up through ip printing using gimp-print, straight ip printing, even the advanced printer setup option. this may sound a little vague, but that is because its kind of a vague question, im a new mac user and not completely familiarized with everything yet.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by billhubbxxx

Anyone know the particular setup for accessing a shared printer (Say an epson photo 820) from a windows 2000 system? i have tried setting it up through ip printing using gimp-print, straight ip printing, even the advanced printer setup option. this may sound a little vague, but that is because its kind of a vague question, im a new mac user and not completely familiarized with everything yet.

Thanks

First, in the Apple Menu>System Preferences... click on the Sharing icon. Under the Services tab is Printer Sharing on?

Maybe one of the moderator's will move this to the Genius Bar where you may get a better response.

BTW, welcome to AppleInsider.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It wasn't entirely clear from your post: where is the printer hooked up? To the Windows machine or the Mac? If it's on the windows machine, you need to set up printer sharing on that machine. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/cups_...in_jaguar.html has directions on getting your Mac to print to a printer shared from Windows. I got these directions to work for WinME, but they don't seem to work on Win2k. I think it's a problem on the Windows box, but I'm not sure. :/
  • Reply 3 of 4
    yes, you can do that from the print center by holding Option and clicking on add printer, but thats where the problem lies. I can add in the direct connection but not gain access to the printer. I know the information I had provided is correct, but still no access to the printer. Thanks for that anyway, but I believe the information I had from before was the same :-/

Help, please
  • Reply 4 of 4
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billhubbxxx

yes, you can do that from the print center by holding Option and clicking on add printer, but thats where the problem lies. I can add in the direct connection but not gain access to the printer. I know the information I had provided is correct, but still no access to the printer. Thanks for that anyway, but I believe the information I had from before was the same :-/

Help, please

Are you sure the printer is actually being shared by W2k? I'm running into the exact same problem and when I try to see what's being shared on that machine, the printer is not showing up.

At the terminal prompt, type "smbclient [hostname] -L [your login name] -P" and hit return. Login and what does it say?