Audi S2. . . trying to convince a friend to buy. . .

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There's this dude who lives nearby who races porsches. He used to race this S2, but then he crashed it, and totally overhauled it for daily driver usage. It is pretty cool though, since it's a bit lowered from the stock height, has better wheels and a pearly white paint job. I also imagine that it has some pleasant under-the-hood work.

As far as I know, he wants to sell it to an enthusiast for a decent price. This car was never sold in the States, which makes it that much cooler. It has German indicators and buttons. I want the car to use as my "practical" car but don't have the disposable income required to take it off of his hands. So I'm trying to convince a friend to buy it with the promise that I'll buy it off of him in a years time or so.

Well, that's the backstory. The real purpose of this thread was to say that the Audi S2 is a really cool car.

(not the actual car. The one being sold is way cooler looking. . . I love white cars. . . )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yes it is, and if you can find one, the installation of the Audi's late model aluminium V8 makes it much more powerful, and lighter too! There's still cars crashing around amateur rally circuits in NA and Europe, the chassis is supposed to be quite stout.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Heh. That V8 would certainly add some punch. I assume it mates to the tranny without too much involvement.

But the plan is to get a car such as the s2, which apparently is bulletproof, and turn my Rx-7 into a track monster. That is, I'm tempted to have a renesis 20B custom-made (NA!) and dramatically re-do the chassis with Mazdaspeed parts. I'll take care of the engine management software personally. . . Seeing as how I'm putting 3DES on a PIC right now, that shouldn't be too hard.

Being a speed junkie, the S2 is the perfect daily driver for me. . . I'm just wondering what I'll be paying for insurance!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Looks like a Mustang.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    If Mustangs had any style. That particular Audi is a little too overstated for me. But in a dark metallic grey/silver, with tint, darker wheels and slight drop, it makes a handsome little Q-car that gets a little less police attention than your average muscle car/soob/mitsu/riced POS car (RX7 expected for being a true sports car, natch)
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

If Mustangs had any style. That particular Audi is a little too overstated for me. But in a dark metallic grey/silver, with tint, darker wheels and slight drop, it makes a handsome little Q-car that gets a little less police attention than your average muscle car/soob/mitsu/riced POS car (RX7 expected for being a true sports car, natch)

You've illustrated the Audi S2 that's for sale. Except that it's a very pleasant tone of gloss white. If I can borrow my sister's digital camera I'll take a picture for you.

(I know. It's criminal. 2 parents, 2 siblings at Princeton. But I swear we're both realistic [and mac users]. Next year I'll have a real job.)
  • Reply 6 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I will be not confident in a car that crashed, even if it get an overhaul repair.

I will suggest your friend to buy an audi RS6, the 450 hp V8 biturbo 4wd are impressive and smoke any regular porsche
  • Reply 7 of 25
    A similar car accelerated as hard from 80-130+mph on the autobahn as my 944 Turbo. It was one of two cars I was never able to pass on the autobahn after it passed me.

It gets my recommendation.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    I can't find the V8 swap article, but it fits. It's a shame Audi doesn't make an RS6 coupe, not that I could afford to buy it, but I think that shape could be very intersting as a two door -- it would look longer while still having the same general dimensions.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Audis rock. I once had a 100LS a long time ago. Kinda wimpy compared to the S2 but I loved it.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Audi's are it. I've owned 3 (1980 4000, 1990 100, 1991 100s). My wife and I still talk fondly about the 2 100's that we had.

If I had the money, I would buy another Audi in a minute.

But, I stuck driving some American POS
  • Reply 11 of 25
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Yes, Audi's do rock.

When I had a 99 A4, I had the chance to put it through a slalom course at a local race track. Everyday use is okay but you really don't appreciate how good that Quattro system is until you push it at the track.

And if you also realize how good rally sport drivers are until you sit in a car with one. I was white knuckling it while he put the turbo charged A6 through a twisty course with his front end practically right behind another car!...awesome ride!
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Yes, Audi's do rock.

When I had a 99 A4, I had the chance to put it through a slalom course at a local race track. Everyday use is okay but you really don't appreciate how good that Quattro system is until you push it at the track.

Unless the track is wet, or has a lot of loose/slippery surfaces on it, the track's the place where you're least likely to notice it, especially in the hands of a good driver (ie, NOT you or I). Traction and grip are two different animals. Quattro helps traction but does nothing for grip. A well sorted RWD (like an M3) car would probably spank the quattros hard around a road course.

A good driver can get way way higher entry speeds than the average idiot, and so the th grip advantage of AWD won't make as much of a difference to him unless the road gets really bad. They'd rather have more grip (all else being equal) That's why all Porsche's excellent AWD systems are removed for GT/2 -- good drivers, even in rain, don't need it (if it costs them grip.)

Now move it to a rally course, where you're trying to power out of a curve on gravel/dirt/snow/ice and suddenly four driving wheels are a lot more useful. We aren't likely to do that, but since we generally DO NOT know how to properly lay the power down on exit, it helps average idiots like us feel like heroes too! haha
  • Reply 13 of 25
    In 1995, Audi was banned from BTCC because the Audi Quattro was unbeatable.

In 1989, Audi was basically banned from the SCCA Trans Am series (If I remember correctly, AWD was banned). Audi dominated the 1988 TA series despite rule change(s) during the season that reduced Audi's horsepower. Note: Audi came into the season with less horsepower and more weight than (most) of their competitors.

From quick googleing, it appears that AWD is banned in many racing series (from what I can tell: American Le Mans, Grand Am, GTS and every open wheel series) because it is considered an "unfair advantage".

In the series where AWD is allowed, there is usually a significant weight penalty and many times a tire size penalty as well.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

In 1995, Audi was banned from BTCC because the Audi Quattro was unbeatable.

In 1989, Audi was basically banned from the SCCA Trans Am series (If I remember correctly, AWD was banned). Audi dominated the 1988 TA series despite rule change(s) during the season that reduced Audi's horsepower. Note: Audi came into the season with less horsepower and more weight than (most) of their competitors.

From quick googleing, it appears that AWD is banned in many racing series (from what I can tell: American Le Mans, Grand Am, GTS and every open wheel series) because it is considered an "unfair advantage".

In the series where AWD is allowed, there is usually a significant weight penalty and many times a tire size penalty as well.

Almost everyone has pretty good AWD systems at this point. But, of course, the most significant ban is the one on rotary engines. Let's say you have an engine that weighs as much as a 1.6L Honda Civic engine, but is 2.6L and produces over 700hp naturally aspirated. That's an advantage, especially since there's only one company in the world that has anything like it.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Yeah, but is it always an advantage of the "system" or has it to do with other factors. The racing formula can be very complex but "grip" and "traction" are not the same thing. More traction can help you out when you get it wrong, but a very well sorted RWD car with lotsa "grip" can go very quickly around a road course, and if the deletion of AWD cuts weight and makes the front end more precise on entry, then the car goes faster lap after lap.

One advantage of AWD for corner entry comes with limited slip diffs under breaking. Even without any power flowing through them, when one wheel slips and the other doesn't it makes it easier to balance out braking forces. Some F1 teams played with the idea of connecting the front wheels with a diff, even if the diff wasn't driven, just to help balance breaking forces under turn in.

But Audi's "unfair advantage" is more marketting than technology and there are plenty of RWD cars that just go faster lap after lap.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Unless the track is wet, or has a lot of loose/slippery surfaces on it, the track's the place where you're least likely to notice it, especially in the hands of a good driver (ie, NOT you or I). Traction and grip are two different animals. Quattro helps traction but does nothing for grip. A well sorted RWD (like an M3) car would probably spank the quattros hard around a road course.

Well let's compare apples to apples. I'd think a M3 might have it's hands full next to a S4. Others seem to think so too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

But I'm not sure I follow your traction vs. grip theory. If Quattro provides continous traction at each wheel, shouldn't there be no loss of grip at all?

Here in snowy Toronto, an AWD Audi was a no-brainer over a 3-series bimmer. My friend in his 323ci had difficultly getting out of my gravelled driveway last winter with just a sprinkling of snow. Regardless, my over riding faction on choosing an A4 over a 3 series had to do with styling.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I should say lateral grip.

And they are not the same, though I too would take an AWD car for the road, vs a RWD car.

Traction can have an averse effect on grip. Look a FWD car where the front wheels have to do all the steering and driving. It's not so easy to make a good FWD car. There are lots of good FWD cars now, but it took a long time to learn how to make them that good. When a wheel has both to steer and power the car, the torque on the wheel (to drive it forward) can accelerate the rate at which it breaks free from the surface (and thus comprimises it's ability too steer) a good RWD car will almost always have faster steering and be faster on a smooth dry track.

What also comes into play in a AWD car is the ability to place the engine. Most front engine AWD cars have the engine ahead of the front axle, like a FWD car, while a RWD front driver can more easily get much of the mass of the engine behind the front wheels, a better proposition.

That test you quoted says which they prefer (even for twisties) and it's the Audi, but it doesn't say which is faster around a track, and it DOES say that the M3 has more lateral "grip" than the other two.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

Here in snowy Toronto, an AWD Audi was a no-brainer over a 3-series bimmer. My friend in his 323ci had difficultly getting out of my gravelled driveway last winter with just a sprinkling of snow. Regardless, my over riding faction on choosing an A4 over a 3 series had to do with styling.

Two words: snow tires.

Performance tires are crappy in cold, snowy and icy conditions, regardless of which wheels are being driven. I've had problems with front-wheel drive cars using performance tires in winter. At the same time, I've had no problems with rear-wheel drive cars on snow tires in winter.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:

Well let's compare apples to apples. I'd think a M3 might have it's hands full next to a S4. Others seem to think so too.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

I'm trying to convince my wife that she should get a station wagon when we move back to the States next year. An Audi S4 Avant station wagon.

I've never owned an Audi, although there's some theory that the tranny on my 944 is an Audi. I'm itching to get one. I have a colleague here that has a Quattro, which looks similar to that S2. It's an amazing car for its size (although he's modified it). Audi also has a good racing pedigree, which is important to me.

Get this car already.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Two words: snow tires.

Performance tires are crappy in cold, snowy and icy conditions, regardless of which wheels are being driven. I've had problems with front-wheel drive cars using performance tires in winter. At the same time, I've had no problems with rear-wheel drive cars on snow tires in winter.

Funny thing is that his BMW was equipped with good Michelin tires.

I don't want to make it into an Audi vs. BMW thing (that's been done to death at various BMW & Audi forums), but I don't think any computer assisted traction control can compare to a true AWD in snowy or wet weather conditions.

That said, the RWD BMW on a dry road from a standing start at full throttle is pretty awesome too.