OS 9 is Gone!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently installed a new HD in my G4 Cube, and put OS 10.2 on as the only OS. When I tried to install OS 9 today so I could run some older programs it says that I need classic to run the installer program. Is there any way that I can install off of the CD without having a working install program. Also...is it even worth it? I have had virtualy no need for classic since upgrading to 10.2 on its release date about a year ago. I only have a few programs that I need it for anymore. Woud it be worth the time, effort, and hard drive space it would take up? Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    No it wouldn't.

But if you insist, boot the computer from the OS9 CD.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Good riddance!

Booting off the OS9 CD is the way to do it, but did you install OS9 drivers on the new hard drive when you formatted and initialized it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Good riddance!

Booting off the OS9 CD is the way to do it, but did you install OS9 drivers on the new hard drive when you formatted and initialized it?

Yes I did. 1337_5L4Xx0R seems to be of the opinion that putting OS9 on woudn't be worth it. What do you think?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I like having the ability to start Classic mode because I use ResEdit quite a bit and there's nothing as good for OS X that is free (In fact I don't think there's a free resource editor for OS X at all). If you only want to use Classic mode though, not OS 9 booting, you can cut out a lot of your extensions (even delete them if you want to save some space as long as you're sure you'll never boot into OS 9 again).

Think about your programs. Think if there are any OS X compatible versions of the programs. Determine how much you really want them. If you'll use any of them often, I'd say go for it. Otherwise just say "screw classic!" and don't bother installing. It all depends on how much you use the programs and how essential they are. If you have to use them for work/school, you should definitely try to get OS 9 to work.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Yes I did. 1337_5L4Xx0R seems to be of the opinion that putting OS9 on woudn't be worth it. What do you think?

jobs called os9 dead like a year ago. i haven't used it in a very long time, and there is very little need for it. if you have programs that require it, you should contact the developers about updating.