Are you renewing .mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The poll says it all. Will you be renewing your .mac account? If not, why not? If so, why?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member

Software, software, softwa... Sorry. Mods, could you move for me?
  • Reply 2 of 17
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Yes. Definitely.

Never had a problem with speed.

Well worth it, IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I like how, as a re-subscription promotion, they're giving away all the unsold copies of a few year old game.

Here, buy this bowl of soup and we'll throw in a week-old piece of bread for free!

I wonder if it's a tax write-off?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I am. E-mail is convenient, and I've had a couple really good addresses for me locked up since about 5 minutes after they announced iTools, so no [email protected] for me. I like the remote iDisk, Bookmarks and Webmail access, I use those a ton. I do use Backup a fair amount, plus the iDisk space, and I want to take better advantage of my Homepage at some point. Finally, I do need some anti-virus, even if it's crappy. They're all crappy, but I'd be paying for updates no matter what app/service I went with, and hopefully we'll get a big upgrade to Virex soon. I really don't care about the games per se, though I do try them out.

I guess I'm willing to pay $8 a month for the convenience.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I will, provided I can afford it. $100 would buy a lot of groceries...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    yes. the services are definitely worth the $8 a month it costs. didn't really know if it was worth it till i tried it, but i've become increasingly sold.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i will, probably. when i look back at the original .mac offerings, it wasn't much to write home about. but there has been steady improvement, and the extras, offers, freebies and discounts on stuff i was already wanting to buy has helped me accept the cost.

however, i still wish apple would offer a discount renewal rate for all those who subscribed in the first place.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Absolutely. Considering all of the little extras that they have thrown in over the last year (in the form of free games, mostly), I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth. The free copy of Everquest sealed the deal.

That being said, I was a little annoyed when I went and renewed and Apple charged me 17% VAT on my renewal! As far as I know, VAT is some sort of european sales tax. I live in Canada!! What's up with that?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darren Smith

That being said, I was a little annoyed when I went and renewed and Apple charged me 17% VAT on my renewal! As far as I know, VAT is some sort of european sales tax. I live in Canada!! What's up with that?

Roughly the same as your GST, however I thought that was only 7%
  • Reply 10 of 17
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Had .mac, never used it. Tried but it was not good enough in so many ways. Virtually every service offered has better alternatives elsewhere. Too bad. Big yawn. (For me....if you enjoy it, then great). But you don't need to have it just to be a good Apple faithful (and I suspect plenty of people have it and never use it more than a few times.) Sometimes crap is crap.

Too bad Apple has to tie VIrex and Backup etc. to .mac...kinda a hint that .mac itself is thin. I'd rather buy Backup and whatever else for a reasonable price per app. No way are they worth being saddled with .mac's otherwise, to me, useless or rarely useful features.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I like how, as a re-subscription promotion, they're giving away all the unsold copies of a few year old game.

Here, buy this bowl of soup and we'll throw in a week-old piece of bread for free!

I wonder if it's a tax write-off?

They were giving away copies of everquest. that's new..
  • Reply 12 of 17
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Darren Smith

Absolutely. Considering all of the little extras that they have thrown in over the last year (in the form of free games, mostly), I feel I've gotten more than my money's worth. The free copy of Everquest sealed the deal.

um, okay, i missed something here. when were they giving away everquest???
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

Check it out

http://www.mac.com/1/renew.html
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

That's one of the three choices you get when you renew. That's what I got because I've already got the Sims and don't need the $20 off a purchase. I figure I can sell it for a couple bucks. I don't need addictions to get in my way right now.... Stupid dissertation (grumble, grumble...)