Just switched my mom-in law :)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
She upgraded from an old Pentium MMX 166 mHz (*my first computer and, correspodingly, her first computer) to a 1 gHz eMac with combo drive.

I am very proud of her. She is nervous about learning a new operating system, but I figure if she could make heads or tails out of Windows 95 OSX should be a breeze.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Cool. Yeah, my best friend just made the switch less than a month ago (from a 4-year-old clunky Gateway with no Ethernet, Firewire, 64MB RAM and Windows ME to a new 14" iBook with a Combo Drive, 640MB RAM, a 15GB iPod and OS X).

Needless to say, she's thrilled beyond belief. I think she got her iPod surgically attached to her hip. She's said on several occasions how much she digs OS X and that she doesn't have to feel like a "computer person" when using her iBook...she just sits down and things work and get done. She's downloading updates, installing these, changing her icons, getting songs from the iTunes Music Store, etc.

It's been less than a month and she's more comfortable and savvy than I was after using X for a month!

• Reply 2 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Needless to say, she's thrilled beyond belief. I think she got her iPod surgically attached to her hip. She's said on several occasions how much she digs OS X and that she doesn't have to feel like a "computer person" when using her iBook...she just sits down and things work and get done. She's downloading updates, installing these, changing her icons, getting songs from the iTunes Music Store, etc.

It's been less than a month and she's more comfortable and savvy than I was after using X for a month!

This is something we all talked about when OS X first came. That n00bs would be more comfortable at it than old-hats because they don't have to unlearn old classic OS habits. It's true that it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks. Glad to hear your mysterious friend is getting good use of all your money.