Panther: Tachyon followup info

c47c47
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've been sitting on this for a little while and was hoping a "rumor" site (ThinkSecret) would break the story before I would here there's the scoop on "Tachyon".

It's a Intel PC port.

Those those who pick up on code names, its a follow up to the "Meklar" rumor from last year and the previous skunk works project @ Apple from the mid 90s to port the Mac OS to Intel chips. That project was code-named "Star Trek".

Can you see the forest from the trees now?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    If it exists, it won't be released. Not with the g5 here.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by C47

I've been sitting on this for a little while and was hoping a "rumor" site (ThinkSecret) would break the story before I would here there's the scoop on "Tachyon".

It's a Intel PC port.

Those those who pick up on code names, its a follow up to the "Meklar" rumor from last year and the previous skunk works project @ Apple from the mid 90s to port the Mac OS to Intel chips. That project was code-named "Star Trek".

You mean "Marklar"? I'm sure these contingencies exist, but as New said, it's not gunna happen with the G5 here and kickin' some serious bootay.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    *cough*

b**shit
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    just to play devil's advocate, perhaps apple never wants to be put in a situation again where they MUST depend on a vendor (even as big as IBM) for their chips, and they are updating an intel-capable version of the mac os with every new update. that way, if anything does fall apart, they are ready to go in a shorter amount of time.

could just be "vendor insurance," so to speak.

i would be amused to see them create projects code-named "nanoprobes" or "holodeck", since they, along with "warp field" and "front deflector dish" and "transporters" were the combined deus-ex-machina that could get the crew of any show out of any impossible situation.

"captain, i think i have an idea. what if we modified the front deflector dish by diverting power from the transporters directly into the warp field. the resulting increase in tachyons would excite the nanoprobes in seven of nine, and maybe we'd finally get some!"

"make it so."

• Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

*cough*

b**shit

too right.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by C47

It's a Intel PC port.

Click for the truth...
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    While I tend to agree that this is not going to happen, I don't see that the G5 makes it less likely to happen. It seems to me that if the G5 really has better price/performance than Apple could release a Intel port without completely distroying their hardware sales for the first time.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

While I tend to agree that this is not going to happen, I don't see that the G5 makes it less likely to happen. It seems to me that if the G5 really has better price/performance than Apple could release a Intel port without completely distroying their hardware sales for the first time.

Apple's hardware would have to have a significant lead over, not just be competitive with, for it not to cut into sales.

Maybe in a year or two, IBM willing...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Have you heard of this new thing, called G5?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yes, and we are now competitive with the high-end PC world.

Apple would have to be confident that their hardware would have a *significant* advantage over Wintel offerings to release a free-range x86-esque MacOS X. Otherwise many folks would just buy the cheapest Dell they could get and ignore Apple's hardware. Until Apple migrates to a software company model, the hardware advantage has to be overwhelming for this move to happen.

They may make their own boxen, with Intel Inside, and make sure MacOS X only runs on those, but I don't see it. That'd be a completely half-assed move.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Too bad there's no forum rule against trolls.

What a wanker....
  • Reply 12 of 15
    And there's this little tidbit from MacRumors, for what it's worth:

Quote:

Updated: Tachyon is the name of Apple's new Developer's tools, casting doubt that a new Panther update would share the same name.

An anonymous report clarifies some of Apple's Codename categories:

Sub-particles = Developer Tools

Colors (Green/Pink/etc) = Jaguar updates

Lord of the Rings characters (Smeagol/Deagol/etc) = G5-enabling system updates.

• Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

"captain, i think i have an idea. what if we modified the front deflector dish by diverting power from the transporters directly into the warp field. the resulting increase in tachyons would excite the nanoprobes in seven of nine, and maybe we'd finally get some!"

"make it so."

I think I missed that episode
  • Reply 14 of 15
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

From Apple Developer Tech note 2086

TN2086: Tuning for G5: A Practical Guide says:

There are three main developer tools components you will want to install to get setup for G5 tuning. The Tachyon 1.0 Developer Preview CD can also be used, although since that tools release is not yet final, it will not be the focus of this technote.

A funny thing is that there's too little knowledge of Apple's code names outside Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Darn those pesky Tech notes! Always muddling up a good rumor with facts and stuff....