Study: Windows cheaper than Linux

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Direct from CNET News.com

Link

A Quote:

Quote:

"I want to make sure companies have facts in front of them," Martin Taylor, the company's recently appointed general manager of platform strategy, said. "Every time I see a study that says customers think Linux has a total cost-of-ownership advantage, that's a sign people aren't seeing this information."

However, critics of the Microsoft-backed study noted the small sample size in the Giga study, which polled just 12 companies, seven of which were running Windows and five of which were running Linux.

Giga analyst John Rymer said, "surveying just a few businesses made sense, given that the research firm was trying to get an in-depth look at the costs involved". He also affirmed, "that more companies would have been included in the study, but were excluded because their systems were down due to the recent outbreak of worms and virus'.

John Rymer indicated a future study has been planned to include more companies, as soon as Microsoft patches existing holes in their system, sometime in 20025. However, The estimated start date for the study has been delayed, because Giga Research's IT department has also come down with a slight infection....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by rickag

Direct from CNET News.com

Link

A Quote:

the version i read didnt mention a virus.. tsk tsk, putting your jokes inside the quote...... tsk tsk tsk.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

the version i read didnt mention a virus.. tsk tsk, putting your jokes inside the quote...... tsk tsk tsk.

Sorry, won't do it again, seeing as how Microsoft is such a reputable company and desires my respect. opps - meant deserves my respect.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

?the Microsoft-backed study?

that's fair - no?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

that's fair - no?

Pffft. After reading that, I would disregard anything I read in that study. How lame is that?

Study: Willoughby is the best AI poster evar!

(study funded in part by Willoughby)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Techno-journalism at its finest.

Um...

The headline is deceiving. If you read the article you'll notice that this is more a contest between developing on/for the respective platform. As stated in the Slashdot discussion, this is not "Windows vs. Linux", but rather ".NET vs. Java".

...and they didn't track the usage of PHP and mySQL, so...

Screed