Help with 10.1.4 Server permissions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Wonder if anyone can help clarify some things for me. We have an old G4 set up with OS X 10.1.4 Server. We have a handful of users and a couple groups set up. Everyone here has their own login (same password though). Not sure why we need multiple logins but thats how the boss set it up. All users belong to the "Design" group we have set up, with the intentions that it would allow us to work with each other's files. The share point is listed as being owned by Admin whos is also part of Design group. Its priviliges are read-write for owner and read-write for group. We assumed this would apply to everything that we created on it but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Now the OS 9 users dont have any issues files/folder created by then are read-write for everyone in Design group. However our two OS X 10.2 clients create files/folders with read-only permissions to the Design group. Why is this? What do we do to make them create read-write permissions without manually editing the files/folders in question?

Also what does Macintosh Manager do? Im unclear on what this is for. Is this something we need to setup in addition to User Groups??

Sorry for beign a newbie. I tried to search though Apple Support but wasn't coming up with anything. :P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Are we lacking for geniuses in this bar? :P
  • Reply 2 of 4
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

Now the OS 9 users dont have any issues files/folder created by then are read-write for everyone in Design group. However our two OS X 10.2 clients create files/folders with read-only permissions to the Design group. Why is this? What do we do to make them create read-write permissions without manually editing the files/folders in question?

Try umasking. You can do it yourself (0002) or use this script:

http://www.illusionati.com/os_x/umaskMod.html
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hrm i'll look into that... we are of course running 10.1.4 and not 10.2 however.

Am I wrong in thinking that Files/Folders created should be inheritiing the privileges of the parent folder? I thought thats how it's supposed to work? Its odd that OS 9 clients work ok, but OS X don't. If so is this just a 10.1.4 problem?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

hrm i'll look into that... we are of course running 10.1.4 and not 10.2 however.

I don't think that there's a difference.

Quote:

Am I wrong in thinking that Files/Folders created should be inheritiing the privileges of the parent folder? I thought thats how it's supposed to work?

No, a process inherits the file creation mask from its parent process. The process then creates files with all permission bits set that are not masked.

Say your mask is 0022 (octal numbers have a leading zero). The bit layout would look like this:

r w x

0 0 0

0 1 0

0 1 0

A program that has inherited this mask from its parent will then create files with the following permissions (although some programs also create files with more restrictive permissions, e.g. most programs don't set the executable bit):

r w x

1 1 1

1 0 1

1 0 1

(or 755)

As I said, most programs don't create executable files, so they also don't set the executable bit, you'll end up with 644 or -rw-r--r--.

To get -rw-rw-r--(which is what you want), you have to use another mask, 0002. You can use the umask command to set this mask. As I've already pointed out, the mask is inherited, so, if you want your non-CL programs to use a new mask, you have to issue the umask command before the window server is started (the window server is the parent of the GUI processes).