Is it just me is does Soundtrack rule?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was just at our local compUSA- they had a G5 1.6 with 23"- FCP4 installed. I got to play with soundtrack for the first time- OMG! This is the coolest app I've used in a long time!!!! Its soooo easy to make music that sounds decent!

I also got to play around with LiveType a little- this is pretty cool, but they didn't have all of the objects installed so I couldn't get anthing to render, but it seemed easy to make things that looked really high end!

FCP4 is very complicated compaired to these apps- but it does what it needs to do and does it well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Soundtrack is very cool. Livetype take a bit more work but it can create some polished looking effects.

Maybe If I'm lucky I'll be ready by Final Cut Pro 5.0. Got other things to attend to first.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Does anyone offer royalty free samples as additions to the ones that come with?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Well...seeing as how it works off of .aif and .wav, any commercial sample disks should work.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I love ST. Makes me think I'm a musician.... or at least an editor/mixer!

You might check out eMagic related sites for loops, etc.

Or just begin hanging out at digital music web sites
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Well...seeing as how it works off of .aif and .wav, any commercial sample disks should work.

1. I didn't know about the format.

2. I've never worked with commercial samples. I've just heard that what's included with ST is very good, better than most. So, I was really wondering if there's anything of that quality.

Probably.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    its awesome. beats trying to license music from RIAA or ASCAP. Running and working on project with FCP4, ST, LT and compressor on G5.

FCP is still very bugggy and crashes on G5 so awaiting Panther and/or FCP updates (running 4.0.2)

FCP4 takes up a lot more CPU power than previous versions so anticipate that. ExtremeRT on G5 is great. going to dual G5 soon...returning G5 1.8 within 30days with AppleStore to upgrade to DualG5 as its not out yet in Apple Stores until Oct 1st.

who needs an Avid system now? FCP4 is awesome except for the bugs (which i am sure they know about)
  • Reply 7 of 19
    this is a new site from AMG http://www.samples4.com/catalog/ they have stuff in "Apple Loops" format.

AMG makes some good sample cds, especially reason refills.

Hold up, just saw this on the site, interesting:

Quote:

Format Info

Apple Loops are primarily designed for use with Apple's amazing new 'Soundtrack' software, now available as a standalone program as well as part of Final Cut Pro 4. The key and tempo of files can be quickly set to your requirements and files can easily be found thanks to programmed tags. Music has never been faster to create, edit and enjoy. These loops will ensure it also sounds amazing whether you're a novice or pro! Apple Loops can be used simply as Aiff files in many other applications although you won't be able to enjoy all the advanced features available when using 'Soundtrack'.

NB IMPORTANT: This CD is licensed only for use 'to picture' in AV applications. If you wish to use it commercially in non-AV-linked music you need to buy another version that is licensed for regular music use (i.e. all other currently available versions). This CD comes in a DVD case despite the dimensions of the cover logo used on this page.

so if you want to use it in just music you have to buy the apple loops cd and then another cd in one of their other formats to get the music rights.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I think it rocks so much, I wrote an article on it!

http://www.elitegeek.com/modules.php...rticle&sid=301

Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I was just at our local compUSA- they had a G5 1.6 with 23"- FCP4 installed.

We've got the same setup, and I have to say that it's a lot better on a 23" Display than my 15" one.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

I think it rocks so much, I wrote an article on it!

http://www.elitegeek.com/modules.php...rticle&sid=301

Hey Barto, checked out your article, then your music and then poked around the rest of your site. Didn't realise you were an Aussie . Good luck with year 12.

I checked out your countdown song, not really my style but I'm sure you enjoyed doing it. One of my uni mates has fun playing with Reason on his PC laptop during boring lectures at uni, he's yet to make anything publicly available though, although he intends to.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:

Its awesome. beats trying to license music from RIAA or ASCAP

Actually, the RIAA and ASCAP don't have anything to do with the music licensing of recordings. If you want to use a previously recorded track you go to the record label or owners of the music tracks. If you want to license a song for making a new recording you go to the publishing company of that song. ASCAP, BMI and SESAC are the organziations (union) that song writers belong to for publishing their songs. The RIAA is an organization that record labels belong to which monitors their interests.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Soundtrack is OK

Logic Audio Platinum rules!

(Of course, I've been using Logic since it was Notator by C-Lab so I'm a bit biased)
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

I checked out your countdown song, not really my style but I'm sure you enjoyed doing it.

It's not really my style, but I enjoyed making it. I think I could probably license it to Queer as Folk or something. It's certainly my most cohesive mix, however.

Barto
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kestral

Logic Audio Platinum rules!

while this is true (I use gold) they are two totally different beasts with in the same species.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Actually, the RIAA and ASCAP don't have anything to do with the music licensing of recordings. If you want to use a previously recorded track you go to the record label or owners of the music tracks. If you want to license a song for making a new recording you go to the publishing company of that song. ASCAP, BMI and SESAC are the organziations (union) that song writers belong to for publishing their songs. The RIAA is an organization that record labels belong to which monitors their interests.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. when i did this last through ASCAP it was a real bitch. so much so, even though i was prepared to pay, it was too much hassle to had to pay & license original music for $1k for 2 short tracks. I also went direct to small unknown but great artist and licensed tracks for $500 (web only delivery). Now, Soundtrack fills the gap for 10-60 sec scores (or longer). That's what I love about it.

Thans MacsRGood4u on RIAA.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Loops for Acid

Mixman (CDs have WAV, TRK and CD Audio versions of all loops)
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Loops for Acid

Mixman (CDs have WAV, TRK and CD Audio versions of all loops)

Don't show me these things...I can't afford the software right now....
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Pardon my stupidity, but a couple of quick questions: Was thinking about getting Soundtrack to make some music to add to some videos I am currently making as a little side business. If I just use Soundtrack itself, I am legally "okay" and do not have to pay anyone any additional money, correct? But if I want to buy some of those additional loops, etc., there could be some licensing fees, etc.? And what exactly are those loops, just kind of additional "plug-ins" to allow one to make really good sounding music in an easier and quicker fashion? Thanks for all of your input!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    If I just use Soundtrack itself, I am legally "okay" and do not have to pay anyone any additional money, correct?

From all the information I have seen, yes. If I am ever taken to court I will just point out that Apple has never said otherwise, and I have acted with all due dilgence to find out that I don't have to pay anyone any more money.

But if I want to buy some of those additional loops, etc., there could be some licensing fees, etc.?

Yes.

And what exactly are those loops, just kind of additional "plug-ins" to allow one to make really good sounding music in an easier and quicker fashion?

No. Loops are the sounds that you use to make music. They might be a guitar chord, a melody, a bleep, a whatever. Regardless, they are all sounds and they all "loop", that is repeat in a song. Soundtrack comes with 4112 of them, unfortunatly no trumpet or sax ones! Bah.

If you want to record music and mix it, you are better off with Apple's other product, Logic.

Barto
  • Reply 19 of 19
    licensing fees are usually included in the price of say a sample cd. But make sure you read the fine print, there might be certain restrictions, see my first post above.

Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Apple's other product, Logic.

hehe that just still sounds funny to me. I dunno if i'll ever get used to it.