Why no built-in antenna on G5?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is there a technical reason why the antenna for airport and bluetooth aren't built into the G5 chassis?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    If I recall the keynote correctly, Jobs said that the external antenna offered much better reception.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

If I recall the keynote correctly, Jobs said that the external antenna offered much better reception.

yep, and in fact, i bet the next revision of powerbook will come with its own set of rabbit ears and a roll of tinfoil (with apple logo, of course)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

yep, and in fact, i bet the next revision of powerbook will come with its own set of rabbit ears and a roll of tinfoil (with apple logo, of course)

Hah! The alu's have it in the screen on the exposed sides... So it is not a prob. there. The G5 of course is all alumnium and so I guess that is the reason for it....
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Faradday cage.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Hah! The alu's have it in the screen on the exposed sides... So it is not a prob. there. The G5 of course is all alumnium and so I guess that is the reason for it....

But why can't they just make a small portion of it non-aluminum, or make some type of insulator for the antenna to be built-in? BTW... why does aluminum interfere with radio frequency?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giba

But why can't they just make a small portion of it non-aluminum, or make some type of insulator for the antenna to be built-in? BTW... why does aluminum interfere with radio frequency?

because aluminium is not transparent to radio emissions.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

because aluminium is not transparent to radio emissions.

I see... but can't the antenna be taped around the outside, just like they are for the new AlBooks?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

BTW... why does aluminum interfere with radio frequency?

Because it is a metal.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

I see... but can't the antenna be taped around the outside, just like they are for the new AlBooks?

May be it's just a question of design. Anyway i do not see what's wrong with the antenna of the G5
  • Reply 10 of 13
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

The antenna should be held away from any surface that is a good conductor. A conducting surface, like metal, will short out electromagnetic waves such as radio or TV signals.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Is there a technical reason why the antenna for airport and bluetooth aren't built into the G5 chassis?

I can see it now. Any public place that is using a G5 with a wireless network will have to purchase extra antennas. They will be very easy to steal. I can only imagine how much Apple is going to want for the antennas???
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It also lets you choose the antennae you need for your application... small short-range, omnidirectional long-range, tight-beam directional, etc. It's just a standard antenna jack, right?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It also lets you choose the antennae you need for your application... small short-range, omnidirectional long-range, tight-beam directional, etc. It's just a standard antenna jack, right?

The G5 antenna did not fit into the antenna port of the PCMCIA 802.11b card I tested it with (though that could be the card's fault).

Interestingly, the antenna takes a surprisingly large amount of force to remove from the antenna port.