Best value for money gives G4 dual 1.25GHz and G5 dual 2.0Ghz?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Best value for money gives G4 dual 1.25GHz and G5 dual 2.0Ghz?

If somebody doesn't have money for dual G5 he should buy dual G4 instead of single G5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    There is no true "best value for the money".

It all depends on your financial situation and what you will be using the machine for.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

There is no true "best value for the money".

It all depends on your financial situation and what you will be using the machine for.

Why then buy single G5 over dual G4?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

Why then buy single G5 over dual G4?

Maybe because you want to. Mabye you can afford it.

Personally, I would buy the G5. Bigger pipes make me happy.

But, I'll stick with my B&W since I can't afford either the dual G4 or the G5.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by podmate

Maybe because you want to. Mabye you can afford it.

Personally, I would buy the G5. Bigger pipes make me happy.

How much more faster dual G4 is than single G5? It is so that single G5 won't be faster than dual G4, if code isn't optimized for G5?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Barefeats.com states:

Quote:

ANALYSIS

It looks like the Dual G5 2GHz has the best bang for the buck. The average speed advantage over the G5 1.8GHz is 45%. Yet it only costs 25% more (factory standard configuration).

If you are thinking about exchanging your G4 Dual 1.42 or G4 Dual 1.25 for a "Solo" G5 1.8 or 1.6, better give it another thought.

We're working on producing results from other applications (UT2003, Quake3, FCP). We'll post them here as we compile them.

http://barefeats.com/g5.html
  • Reply 6 of 10
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The G5 will be able to run the lattest Apple's OS for a long time, at the contrary of the G4.

When, Apple will decide in some years to develop a true 64 bit system, you will be happy to have a G5 instead a G4.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

The G5 will be able to run the lattest Apple's OS for a long time, at the contrary of the G4.

When, Apple will decide in some years to develop a true 64 bit system, you will be happy to have a G5 instead a G4.

There will come a time when the G5 or higher will be required for the newest version of the Mac OS. But that doesn't mean necessarily that such an OS will be fully 64 bit. 64 bitness isn't a requirement for every piece of code in an OS. As many of the knowledgable people here have said, 64 bit mode is only used when it makes sense.

In any case, the only 64 bit line that Apple sells right now is, of course, the Power Mac line. All of the other systems, including the PB and Xserve, are still powered by the G4. So it's not like Apple's going to begin requiring the G5 any time soon.

I too am struggling with the choice between the G5 and the DP 1.25GHz. It's actually a good value. Although people caution against barefeats, Rob Morgan's tests seem to indicate the single processor G5s aren't spectacular performers. I'm going to wait until Macworld comes out with its reviews and then make a decision.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It takes long time when all Apple computers are 64 bit. Then rev. A G5 will be old and slow. Maybe not so radically...

It looks now, that single G5 machines aren't so fast and sometimes they are as fast as dual G4. I think, that speed difference between dual G4 and single isn't so huge. Dual G5 seems to be very fast. Dual G5 3414,78EUR (incl. tax&vat) is a lot money from home computer.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Big Mac

I too am struggling with the choice between the G5 and the DP 1.25GHz. It's actually a good value. Although people caution against barefeats, Rob Morgan's tests seem to indicate the single processor G5s aren't spectacular performers. I'm going to wait until Macworld comes out with its reviews and then make a decision.

Count me in on this dillema. The Barefeats tests don't help me much. My most important need is home video editing - iMovie, FC Express, iDVD, etc.

With the Educational Discount my options appear to be:

G5 1.6GHz...............................Dual G4 1.25GHz

800MHz bus.............................167MHz bus

256MB DDR333........................256MB DDR333

80GB Serial ATA Harddrive........80GB UltraATA HardDrive

L2 cache 512............................L2 cache 256

L3 cache 0................................L3 cache 2MB/processor

ATA 9600 w/64MB DDRram.......NividiaTitanium w/128MB DDRram

Superdrive................................Superdri ve

$1844.00..................................$1829.00

Are iMovie, iDVD, FC Express multiprocessor aware?

When OS X is optimized for the G5 what affect, if any, will it have on the G4's?

When introduced will all PCI-X cards be backwards compatible with PCI??

Is there any remote possibility that the single G5's will be upgradable to duals in the future(re: the developer notes do say the processors are on a daughter card)??

I have $2250 cash saved up, but need to buy a monitor(CRT), printer(photo), analog to digital converter(Canopus seems the best at $199), firewire harddrive and digital camera.

I know the best bang for the buck in the Dual G5 2.0GHz, but there isn't any way to afford it

I'm leaning toward the G5, but the dual 1.25GHz is very appealing. My other option is to keep hording cash and wait until January, but I really need/want to start converting my VHS tapes to DVD.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Just bumping this topic, hoping someone has an opinion on the post above and the comparsion between the new G5 1.6 vs. the Dual 1.25GHz G4.