eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Meeting his personal Jesus.

Duuude. Which John's next?

My money's on John Paul II.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I can finally take over as the man in black.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

It's really funny. I always hated country music until I heard Johnny Cash. Now I still hate country music, but I love Johnny Cash.

I'm sad.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    ericgericg Posts: 135member
    Well that's a great loss.... But then again he's now together with June.... and if Jerry Lee Lewis kicks the bucket then the Million dollar quartet is reunited also \

now listening to 'At Folsom Prison' album
  • Reply 5 of 19
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Sorry Harald..I stuffed up...posting same ..

But heck the Man was so big he DESERVES double billing on AI...
  • Reply 6 of 19
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Sorry Harald..I stuffed up...posting same ..

But heck the Man was so big he DESERVES double billing on AI...

Damn right.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I don't even want to go to class now.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

just adding to an already horrible couple days
  • Reply 9 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    what a great man. i will miss him.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    He was more than just a musician, he was a an inspiration for many who have turned their lives around.

And yes, while he was far from being a technically great singer or player, he was outstanding nevertheless - just outstanding. There was an energy and presence...and a message.

I am sad today, but happy for his life and I believe he has moved on to something greater. May God accept his soul.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Genuinely a sad day.

I figured since June went earlier this year he was going to go, but I guess you can never truly prepare for a person's departure.

My grandmother turned me on to Johnny Cash. Back then he was doing a lot a gospel & hymns...wonderful stuff. Me and Grandma on the sofa listening to big, thick vinyl. Like Johnny's voice was vibrating every bone in our bodies.

My father played Him intermittently in my youth, mixed with Buddy Holly and Elvis. All of the music he grew up on and considered 'classic' and worthy of his growing son's taste.

I rediscovered Johnny in my early 20's. I was hanging out with the punk/alt scene then, and a small group of guys that played more of the 'country punk' sound were Cash fanatics. Of course, I knew all the words to his early stuff, so I was in.

Since then, I've listened to him religiously (NPI). He never failed to bring a tear to my eye on at least one song on every album. And that just about sums up who he was. The passion and pain in his voice can never...and will never...be matched.

If his God has found it fit to place him in Heaven...fine. If not, he's too good for Hell.

I will miss this man.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    its such a shame that Johnny didn't clean up at the MTV Video awards a couple weeks back.... the fact that he was nominated in categories with the likes of J Timberlake, Nelly and Missy Elliot is proof enough to me that he was truly deserving of each award. Then again, maybe we can take comfort that MTV wasn't good enough, or man enough, for the man in black.

i was listening to American I through IV today on my iPod.... fvcking brilliant work. I will miss this man. If you thought the video for "Hurt" was chilling before.... I haven't had the guts to watch it today..

RIP
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I started watching some of it today but I had to stop it.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    From the hands it came down

from the side it came down

from the feet it came down

and ran to the ground

Between Heaven and Hell

a teardrop fell

in the deep crimson dew

the Tree of Life grew

And the blood gave life

to the branches of the tree

and the blood was the price

that set the captives free

And the numbers that came

through the fire and the flood

clung to the tree and were redeemed by the blood

The man had something. Pure. In this lifetime I could never have anything close to what he had both in understanding and respect for religion. He believed. He had 'faith'.

It's only at a time like this that I would even begin to think about questioning my dogmas. Not that I would ever 'believe' per se, but that a genius of his caliber did begs a closer scrutiny of what we are about.

It is a sad day.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Very good posts.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i just want to take time to point out that several of johnny cash's songs are in the top downloads from the itunes music store right now.

there is hope for this world.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

I rediscovered Johnny in my early 20's. I was hanging out with the punk/alt scene then, and a small group of guys that played more of the 'country punk' sound were Cash fanatics. Of course, I knew all the words to his early stuff, so I was in.

Social Distortion were HUGE fans of the man in black. Their cover of "Ring of Fire" is kickass. And then there was this cover by Jonnny Cash of a NIN song. RIP dude. Hope you're having a good time with Warren Zevon right now.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zaphod_beeblebrox

Hope you're having a good time with Warren Zevon right now.

Cash was the bomb.

They've already reissued a huge portion of his catalog, and they'd already planned a 5 disc box set, 4 discs worth of unreleased material from the last four albums on American Recordings. So if you ever needed an excuse to discover what he had to offer, there's no better time.

Damn, could he kick ass.

I love Zevon too. Warren needed the company in hell, I guess he's got it now.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I read an interview with him that was conducted quite recently.

He knew he would die soon, he freely admitted it. Yet there was not a tinge of fear or regret. He had lived a long life, done so many things, had such a fantastic marriage and felt that he had simply done everything he wanted to. His wife was gone, his health was failing and it was just about time to move on. It seemed very natural to him.

For some reason I found this intensely uplifting. To know that your number is almost up, but be perfectly content with it. To know that you had accomplished just about everything you ever dreamed of, loved all anyone could hope to love and find yourself with a career that people the world over admire.

Most people die thinking "if only...". Johnny Cash is a rare exception to that.

He will be missed.