Outsiders - what kind of computer do you own?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Something I've thought of asking for a while.

I sometimes see an AO regular posting in Current Hardware, Digital Hub, etc, and think "what, they have a Mac?".

There are people here who are probably doing 99% of their posting in this forum alone, so I just don't think of them as Mac people for some reason. I am curious to see what you guys own for computers. Does trumptman have a $200 Mac that someone signed over to him for free to balance out a debt load, for example?

I'll start:

Home computer is a Snow 700MHz G3 iMac, 60GB HD, 512MB RAM and an 8x CD-RW.

Portable is a 12" 867MHz PowerBook G4, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM Combo Drive, AirPort Extreme Card. (BADLY in need of a RAM upgrade)

Also have a 15GB iPod and a Canon i450 printer. (attained with the PB in a deal trumptman would be proud of!)

So, whatcha got?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Well, I pretty much only troll around the AO boards, but I'm an Mac freak. Because I'm a filmmaker I have to have power:

Dual 1GHz Quicksilver

500Gb Hard Drive Space

1.5Gb RAM

22" Cinema

17" Generic LCD

Sony 13" Pro NTSC

Wacom 6x8 Intuous2

Oh, and I'm still paying off the note on this stuff.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    I write this answer on a Dual 1 GHz G4 MDD (1 GB RAM, 120 + 80 + 6 GB HD). I also have Pismo PowerBook 400 MHz G3 (192 MB RAM, 6 GB HD), originally bought for my wife, but she never got interested in using computers.

At the moment, I have my work notebook (from my company, not owned by me) on my desk, too: An IBM ThinkPad 600X (Pentium III, 650 MHz, 576 MB RAM, 20 GB HD)

No iPod.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Powerbook G4 1 Ghz, 1 GB RAM

900 Mhz iBook, 640 MB RAM

Powerbook 190cs

My work machine is a dell, and that's where most of my posting is done from.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Powerbook G4 1Ghz, 15", 1GB RAM

Powerbook G4 500Mhz, 384MB RAM

Toshiba POS laptop.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    I also forgot to mention that during my day job I use:

Dual 1.25 MDD

1G RAM

80+120 HD

20" Cinema

17" Generic

Wacom 6x8
  • Reply 6 of 44
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    12" iBook

800 MHz G3

Combo drive

640 MB RAM

30 GB hard drive

Airport

And it's for sale, by the way. Making way for some sort of G4 desktop (currently I'm thinking eMac with educational discount).

EDIT: Anyone want to place bets on how many times murbot will have to reply again to this post in order to reflect changes in his setup?
  • Reply 7 of 44
    1ghz TiBook w/ 1gb RAM

20gb iPod (2nd revision)

I came for the rumors but stayed for the arguments
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Does trumptman have a $200 Mac that someone signed over to him for free to balance out a debt load, for example?

I'll start:

Home computer is a Snow 700MHz G3 iMac, 60GB HD, 512MB RAM and an 8x CD-RW.

Portable is a 12" 867MHz PowerBook G4, 60GB HD, 256MB RAM Combo Drive, AirPort Extreme Card. (BADLY in need of a RAM upgrade)

Also have a 15GB iPod and a Canon i450 printer. (attained with the PB in a deal trumptman would be proud of!)

So, whatcha got?

Macs... my weakness...

No one has signed their Mac over to me....Mac's don't have title papers.

Hahaha

I did purchase all my Macs used though. You should know that because I was crowing about one of them in Current Hardware.

We own entirely too many computers. It's Apple's fault because they created Airport and also because I think my Macs are having sex and procreating.

We have...

Dual 1 ghz G4 with 512 RAM, Superdrive 80 gig HD, geforce4mx card. Purchased about 1-2 months ago for $1100.

G4@450 Tower with 1gig ram, 40 gig HD, 32x-cdr, Geforce2mx video card and airport

Powerbook G4@500 w/256 megs ram 20 gig HD (8 meg video ram yippee!)

My (WORK) computer that I use at school and is owned by me is a PowerMac 6500@250 mhz (603e) with 96 megs of ram, 4 gig HD and I bought it for $60 about 2 years ago at a computer fair.

Nick
  • Reply 9 of 44
    originally beige mt g3 266 mhz av (fully 'tricked' out -- excepting processor upgrade)

rebuilt a dead blue and white g3 (350 mhz) with all that remained from the gutted beige comp. added processor upgrade -- an underclocked 800 mhz g3 from powerlogix (underclocked because at 800 mhz it was cooking the clip holding heat sink and the processor was becoming loose). 1 gig ram, 1 6 gig ata harddrive, 1 20 gig ata harddrive, 18 gig scsi drive, 60 gig firewire drive.

work comp. is a pc (which allows lab group gaming in between doing actual science) -- 2.4 Ghz intel petium 4 with 566 FSB, on an assus motherboard, with 512 PC2100 ddr ram, 40 gb harddrive, nvidia geforce 4 graphics card. (hand built -- in my opinion the lack of this is one of the most glaring weaknesses of macs)

soon (hopefully) now that i am a grad student and not a lowly research tech, a reduced cost g4 powerbook -- 15 or 17 in...
  • Reply 10 of 44
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I did purchase all my Macs used though. You should know that because I was crowing about one of them in Current Hardware.

Right, I forgot about that... thought you were selling the 450 though?

Oh, and I don't plan on my setup changing anytime soon. I bought the CRT iMac intentionally because it's so out of the loop, and I know the PowerBook will be very soon. I am hoping this cures my need to upgrade when the latest and greatest hits the streets.

Funny thing is, that 700MHz G3 at home is handling my needs just fine. Still a damn good little machine.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I don't own a Mac. I post using a GameCube running Linux.

Entering all these letters is a real pain in the ass.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I don't own a Mac. I post using a GameCube running Linux.

Entering all these letters is a real pain in the ass.

that explains the stick up your a**.

kidding of course.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    G4/533 Digital Audio. Superdrive (upgrade). Airport. 867(?) ram. 15" cheapo LCD that I desperately want to replace with a 17". Zip. 40 gig (stock), 120 gig (internal), and 60 gig Firewire. iSight. Powermate. Canon LIDE 30. Currently showing its age.

12" powerbook 867. Combo drive. 256 RAM. Airport extreme.

Quadra 650 (in pieces).
  • Reply 14 of 44
    Well, I HAD a G4/400 Giga Ethernet...but the logic board died.

Right now, I'm sharing my wife's iBook...

When I had money to get a new computer, I didn't have a reason because my G4 did everything I needed it too...now that I have a reason, I don't have the money...

\
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Lets see here.

Home:

B&W G4 450 (Powerlogix), 704MB RAM, 6GB HD, 30GB HD, CR-ROM, 128 Rage (or whatever it came with, I can't remember) and a Radeon 7000, 10.2.6

G4 Cube 450, 512MB RAM, 20GB HD, DVD, GeForce 2MX, 10.2.6

Both of the above are for sale, gotta get me a G5

all running on a 5 year old Dell 19" CRT

Original 5GB iPod (mine)

New 15GB iPod (hers)

Work:

Quicksilver DP 1.0 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM, Dual 80GB HD's, GeForce 4MX, Radeon 7000, 10.2.6 with dual 17" LCD Studio Displays

Ti Powerbook 500, 512MB RAM, DVD, 10.2.6

G3 450 that I am rebuilding to serve as a mysql slave

Dell POS, 867MHZ running XP thats pushing some ancient 100lb 19 or 20" AppleVision monitor

I've also got 4 6100/66's at my disposal

5 7200's

a whole slew of performa 578's

2 classics

and...drumroll please...

6 233 Wallstreets (4 of which have NEVER been used )
  • Reply 16 of 44
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Right, I forgot about that... thought you were selling the 450 though?

Oh, and I don't plan on my setup changing anytime soon. I bought the CRT iMac intentionally because it's so out of the loop, and I know the PowerBook will be very soon. I am hoping this cures my need to upgrade when the latest and greatest hits the streets.

Funny thing is, that 700MHz G3 at home is handling my needs just fine. Still a damn good little machine.

I am/was however this woman, my wife, she has declared it "hers" and MADE me buy her a photo printer. She even took our digital camera and started using it with iPhoto. Now it has been surrounded with scrapbooking crap.

It feels very badly. I'm trying to save it. It wants to play Quake III, but instead it has to print out pictures from the snow with bunnies and stuff.

My wife has refused to give up the desktop until she gets a laptop with airport. She even put my my laptop in the room with "her" tower, some candles and appropriate music. The shared some files, but that was about it.

It is all the fault of evil, scrapbooking wives I tell you!!

Nick
  • Reply 17 of 44
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have currently me and my wife : 6 macs :

- G4 533

- powerbook 17 inch

- i mac DV

- i mac 266

- G3 350 upgraded with a powerlogix G4 550 CPU card

- G3 333

I am waiting for Three G5 (the whole collection but i will give my G3 333 and all the periphericals to my brother : so i will only have 8 macs ...

Ah i forget to say : i have also one PC for my kids : an athlon 2400.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well I only own the iBook I listed, but my brother has plenty of computers. He sold his primary Mac (a blue G4) and is using his 8500/233 right now until his Quicksilver 867 arrives. He also has an SE, a Quadra 950, and a Beige G3/233. In fact he's probably switched over to the G3 which he just got from our dad.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    At home I have:

Dual 450 AGP sawtooth, 512MB / 30GB / 10.2.6

(bought second hand)

Pmac 9500/200, 512 / 4GB + 2GB / 9.1

Generic PII 400 (for work admin)

Compaq PII 200 (as above)

At work I have:

15 x 400Mhz G4 agp running 9.2

1 x ibook 800Mhz 14incher running 10.2.6

and about 10 million PCs
  • Reply 20 of 44
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    PowerBook 667 DVI w/ 256mb, 30gb, etc...

Waterfield Designs sleevecase

AirPort via Cable Internet

JBL Creature speakers (silver to match my 'book)

Canon PowerShot s200 (2mp) digital camera

APPLE CARE of course.

hp LaserJet 1200se

an unused scanner, a nice dvd collection, a few games...