Is this MDD Dual 1.25 a 1st or 2nd gen?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was wondering if you guys could help me out identifying whether this MDD Dual 1.25 is a first generation machine or second:

PowerMac G4 Dual 1.25ghz (MDD)

Mac OS 10.2.3

512 MB DDR Ram

120GB Hard Drive

ATi Radeon 9000

SuperDrive

It doesn't have FW800 which would make me suspect that it's a first generation machine, but I thought the first generation machines could still boot in OS9 (which this machine cannot). If it is indeed a first gen machine, what revisions have they made to the most recent PowerMac G4s that I would be missing out on?

The machine, a floor model, is selling at a local MicroCenter for $1875. Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Also, any idea what read and write speeds are for this particular SuperDrive?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Should be 1st gen MDD.

For more detail on the spec.. please check

Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors): Technical Specifications
  • Reply 2 of 3
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    tough to say... fw800 is definitely second generation.

it's not a bad deal IF you want the superdrive. otherwise, it's a bit pricey.

you know, a little bird told me that you can order from the online apple store for education without presenting any official i.d., and all you have to do is agree that you are in an academic capacity when you establish your online account by clicking "i agree."

of course, this would be morally reprehensible and damning of your eternal soul to satan, so do not do it...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You could buy a G5 for a little more.