Panther can be preordered in Germany

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Amazon has been wrong about dates before. Take for example Simpsons Season 3...I think they got the date wrong two or three times?

Amateurs
  • Reply 2 of 10
    They have a deal where you can get Panther and Jaguar for a reduced price. I don't get it. Why would you want Jag if you could get Panther?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Amazon doesn't have the answer to Apple stuff. What they are pretty good at is [helping estimate] the release of commercial software. Case in point: usually when Photoshop or Illustrator or one of the other big apps is approaching, the "Unleashed''/ "Bible" / "Learn ___ in 24 Hours" type books will be available for pre-order from Amazon. Know the ship date of the book, subtract 3-5 weeks and you generally have the release date of the software itself.

The trick of course is to know you're looking at the correct date for the book. Once you get within about 30 days, the book date won't change very often.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

Panther can be preordered in Germany

What exactly is the point of pre-ordering? Especially if you aren't in the US as you are unlikely to to get it on or near the US release date anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

What exactly is the point of pre-ordering? Especially if you aren't in the US as you are unlikely to to get it on or near the US release date anyway.

I heard some people from Europe claimed that having pre-ordered Jaguar, they had their copies in a couple of days after it became available. In comparison, first Jagwire boxes appeared in Russia a month later.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

In comparison, first Jagwire boxes appeared in Russia a month later.

That's the experience I had. I ordered a copy on the Apple store as soon as it was made available and I recieved my copy several weeks after it had shipped in the US. BTW I'm in AU.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WJMoore

That's the experience I had. I ordered a copy on the Apple store as soon as it was made available and I recieved my copy several weeks after it had shipped in the US.

Generally (or, rather, ideally), pre-ordering allows the manufacturer to prepare sufficient quantities of goods to deliver in advance. In practice, it often doesn't work.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm thinking of purchasing a new G5 or powerbook 15". My question is what has been Apple's policy on buying new macs, will they include Panther as a free update? Or do I have to shell out another $150 for an upgrade?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by feliperal

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm thinking of purchasing a new G5 or powerbook 15". My question is what has been Apple's policy on buying new macs, will they include Panther as a free update? Or do I have to shell out another $150 for an upgrade?

Typically new computers are packaged with the most up to date OS available so you could just wait until after it's formally released or just ask Apple.