Trouble joining Windows network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I tried to setup an email account on my iBook to become part of a Windows workgroup, which would allow me to send and receive email within my office's intranet. After adding the incoming and outgoing server IP address in Mail, I tried to send a test message through this new account to myself, but I kept getting prompted to reenter my password. So how do I set up my iBook as one of the new computer on the Microsoft network? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Are you trying to get email or are you trying to get access to a Windows computer for file sharing?

Is the mail server an Exchange Server? Mail does not work with an Exchange Server - you'll need MS Office for X with the exchange server update.

If you're trying to mount a shared Windows volume, you'll need a user name and password for that server - not an email address.

Am I misunderstanding your question?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by giba

I tried to setup an email account on my iBook to become part of a Windows workgroup...

Is the name of the Windows workgroup "WORKGROUP"?

If not, go in the Applications/Utilities folder and run Directory Services. You'll need to be an admin to make changes (unlock the lock and enter your password), click on the SMB and hit the Configure button, set the Workgroup name to what it is in your Windows network (the WINS server IP should show up automatically, and so should the name which you can select from a popup menu).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Are you trying to get email or are you trying to get access to a Windows computer for file sharing?

Is the mail server an Exchange Server? Mail does not work with an Exchange Server - you'll need MS Office for X with the exchange server update.

Most Exchange servers are set up for pop as well, so you could configure it just like any old pop server.

If not maybe the admin will do it for you.. it's not hard at all..
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Most Exchange SErver managers I've met refuse to open the POP services because they are too "insecure."

They actually don't want the Macs to work, and use this as an excuse.

AZZ holes!