Superbowl commercial slot for 2004?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do you think it will be? OSX for windows? Anniversary Macintosh? Some new platform? An OSX powered Sony playstation III? .......Etc.

Wasn't Steve Jobs quoted as saying,"I've got one more platform left in me , before I'm done." Forgive me if that is not the exact quote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by aircft.sys.spec.

Wasn't Steve Jobs quoted as saying,"I've got one more platform left in me , before I'm done." Forgive me if that is not the exact quote.

When/where did he say that?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple hasn't done a Super Bowl commercial since 1999, so I'm not sure why everyone thinks Super Bowl commercials are in order every year...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Well, it is the 20th anniversary of the '1984' commercial, so perhaps there may be something to commerate the Macintosh's 20th anniversary.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Idiot

Well, it is the 20th anniversary of the '1984' commercial, so perhaps there may be something to commerate the Macintosh's 20th anniversary.

Yeah, mark the occasion by not spending $2 million on a single airing of a 30 sec ad.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    While I tend to agree with Captain Economics above, we all also know that those "$2 million dollar, 30-second spots" often get MAJOR attention, water-cooler discussion and - in some cases - go down as quite memorable (even history-making) slices of advertising.

I can see it either way...yeah, a lot of money for such a small thing. But, done right and cool...who knows what the payoff could be?

I don't know...

Knowing Apple, they'd piss it away on some esoteric, vague "makes no sense OR impact to anyone on the planet", choir-preaching piece of crap with Jeff Goldblum stuttering through it.

So yeah, Eugene is probably right.

• Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

While I tend to agree with Captain Economics above, we all also know that those "$2 million dollar, 30-second spots" often get MAJOR attention, water-cooler discussion and - in some cases - go down as quite memorable (even history-making) slices of advertising.

We can all thank Apple for starting the trend of mega-$$ Super Bowl ads, back in 1984...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Going to General Discussion...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I agree, just recently, I was sitting in on an advertising class, and the professor asked the class what they thought were some of the most memorable ads aired on television. SEVERAL people said the 1984 Apple commercial and the professor agreed that it was definitely one of the one's she thought was the most memorable. If a bunch of college kids (some of which were half stoned when I saw them walk into class) recognize the Apple 1984 ad, the world would certainly take notice at another Apple ad like 1984...I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has had a team developing an idea for several months now
  • Reply 9 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'd like to see a remake of the 'Lemmings' commercial, but instead of a line of people walking off the cliff, a line of 'a certain cattle breed' would be quite funny.

And true.