brand new PBG4 12inch kernel panics

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I've has this puppy for 7 days. Every time i press on the front left underside of the PB it kernel panics, without fail. This is problematic because i oftem pick up my PB by grabing it by the left palm rest with one hand. this obviously puts pressure on the underside. I think that's where the hard drive is.

Interestingly, I only get the kernel panic once OS X is fully loaded. If i press on the spot during startup nothing happens. Making me think maybe it's onle of the ports causing the problem and therfore only happens once the OS initializes the ports.

Any ideas?

Details:

PB G4 12 inch Combo

640 mb Ram

Airport Extreme

OS X 10.2.6 (6L60)

NeilyB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    *ahem,* anyone?

• Reply 2 of 8
    I'd take that to an Apple store or other certified Apple service center and demonstrate that. It's clearly a hardware problem and beyond something you should be able to fix.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yep. time for a service call.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeilyB

*ahem,* anyone?

re-seat your AirPort Extreme card.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    That worked!

Thank you SO much! I was really worried that I bought a lemon. Thank you, thank you... how did you know? did you have the same problem?

NeilyB
  • Reply 6 of 8
    That may have solved the problem now, but I would still be very wary and have an Apple-certified technician look it over. If there's a loose connection with that card, you may later regret not having it checked.

Just my 2¢.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by NeilyB

That worked!

Thank you SO much! I was really worried that I bought a lemon. Thank you, thank you... how did you know? did you have the same problem?

NeilyB

Happened to a friend of mine. he took it to a Mac Genius who knew exactly what the problem was.

If you look at the slot for A-EX card, it's not hard to see it being a mm or 2 from being completely in. I'd push in VERY firmly if installing an A-EX card in a 12 inch PB.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

re-seat your AirPort Extreme card.

Very impressive, formerlurker. Good call.