PDA's - how useful are they?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apart from storing contact details, what uses to people put their PDA's to? I know you can do things like watch videos and listen to music on them, but what else are they good for? Not putting them down, just wondering why people have them and what they do with them...

Cheers,

Dave.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I keep a lot of information on mine. Bus schedule, notes, flight info stuff like that. Plus I use the calculator.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I returned mine 4 days after I bought it. If the iPod had input abilities like PDAs do I'd be satisfied, that would be the perfect combination, but PDAs don't do it for me.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Contacts, calendar, todo's (all basic PIM stuff). Tracking money (I sync it with my fiancee's Quicken). Reading documents on the road. Some note-taking. Idea jotting, etc, for when my powerbook isn't handy. I also have occasion to use it to look up reference stuff (DSM-IV diagnoses, drug information). It's pretty useful. I'd survive without it, but I wouldn't be happy about it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i hope they're handy... i am about to buy the treo 270 from amazon.com for $30 (well, $65 if you included the activation fee) after rebates and t-mobile yearly plan (my wife has a t-mobile plan, too, so mobile to mobile will be free, as well as free long distance). not sure about the keyboard on the 270, but some people swear by 'em, and i am not a fan of graffiti, so maybe it'll grow on me.

plus, how can i turn down a color pda for $30???
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Dude, the HP iPaq 2215 can emulate Nintendo really well.

Other than that, it's kind of useless to me. (Fortunately I never bought one)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i hope they're handy... i am about to buy the treo 270 from amazon.com for $30 (well, $65 if you included the activation fee) after rebates and t-mobile yearly plan (my wife has a t-mobile plan, too, so mobile to mobile will be free, as well as free long distance). not sure about the keyboard on the 270, but some people swear by 'em, and i am not a fan of graffiti, so maybe it'll grow on me.

plus, how can i turn down a color pda for $30???

oops, hold the phone. had to read a bit deeper into the rebates to find the "catch"...

yeah, you get two big rebates, so long as you sign up for $40/month in voice handling and $20/month in data service. let's see, over the mandatory 1-year contract, that comes out to... hmmm... $720!

(amazon should be shot for making the wording so vague on this. they make it sound, from the next step in ordering, that you can get a $20/month service plan and get the rebate, but unless you read the fine print, you'd find they wouldn't give you the money back. hell... but thankfully handspring.com wrote the terms IN PLAIN FUGGIN' ENGLISH so i could figure it out)