What is Panther, and why is it needed.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What is panther? i just heard of it and that it is coming out on tuesday. I was about to buy an imac and someone told me to wait till then.

what exactly is it? thanx.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Panther is simply the next version of OS X. 10.3 versus our current 10.2.7 to be precise.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    So its being released this week? when will it be offered with new imacs, and are there gonna be any significant changes from the last operating system.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by STL1025

What is panther? i just heard of it and that it is coming out on tuesday. I was about to buy an imac and someone told me to wait till then.

what exactly is it? thanx.

You should wait until Panther. Mac OS X 10.3 is much better than Mac OS X 10.2 but if you buy your iMac now, you might have to pay 129$ for 10.3 which you might think is a total rip off considering your just bought your iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    so when is panther being released?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    No indications of it being released this/next week... some rumors claim maybe October 3 (to coincide with "10.3").

Some changes from 10.2, see some of the changes at:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/panther/

Also, this thread should be moved to Mac OS X forum, or closed.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    There's a good chance that if you buy the just updated iMacs (not the previous models) you may get Panther at a price less than the full price when it becomes available. Rumors say Panther will be available in late October. If you buy an iMac then it will probably have Panther already loaded or available for as a free upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    haha, so why is it that when i went into the apple store and asked if there was anything new that was set to come out that was worthy of noting they claimed "nah not really, everything seems to be the same for the next few months."
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by STL1025

haha, so why is it that when i went into the apple store and asked if there was anything new that was set to come out that was worthy of noting they claimed "nah not really, everything seems to be the same for the next few months."

Because if they say anything Apple fires them... or worse... I mean the US Government doesn't even try to keep secrets as much as Apple does.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    New iMacs were just released. New Powerbooks are pretty certain to be unveiled next Tuesday. Ummmmmmm. You're beginning to sound more like a Troll! You posted in the wrong thread as well. Goodbye.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

You know, I was starting to think the same thing. A couple of those questions are just too...well, they just don't sound quite "above board" and legit. A little too leading, a little too baiting in tone.

If I'm wrong, then I apologize.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I'm sure you'll forgive me for confirming that it's a troll...

I mean, you can just smell it, really
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    This thread has gone nowhere fast...