Choosing a password

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm registering for a UNIX account with my new uni. However, their password thing is giving me a headache.

My usual password is all numeric. I tried that and it said "Password cannot be all numeric".

Fair enough - security and all that. So I tried it holding down shift - it looked something like @£%@£%^*!

The form said "Password cannot be all upper case - have you left caps lock on?"

So I tried some numbers and some symbols - like 25534!$!56

It said the same thing.

I've therefore deduced that it wants lowercase letters in there somewhere! But why? My symbol/number password would be really hard to guess.

I think I'll choose a word, just to spite them. (Although if they're clever it'll check it in a spellcheck dictionary or something.)

Amorya

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

I'm registering for a UNIX account with my new uni. However, their password thing is giving me a headache.

My usual password is all numeric. I tried that and it said "Password cannot be all numeric".

Fair enough - security and all that. So I tried it holding down shift - it looked something like @£%@£%^*!

The form said "Password cannot be all upper case - have you left caps lock on?"

So I tried some numbers and some symbols - like 25534!$!56

It said the same thing.

I've therefore deduced that it wants lowercase letters in there somewhere! But why? My symbol/number password would be really hard to guess.

I think I'll choose a word, just to spite them. (Although if they're clever it'll check it in a spellcheck dictionary or something.)

Amorya

mine is alphanumerica but there is a word backwards in it...yep slicker then snot
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I got it to accept a word then a number. I'll probably try my old one each time I log in, though, before I remember that this one isn't the same

Amorya
  • Reply 3 of 8
    It's probably the way the network was setup.

At work, we have to use an alphanumeric combination, and at least one special character.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Make a silly story about the elements. "I like gold, lead, neon, and titanium is sexiest of all..." then lookup the atomic number, use the first two digits, then use a different symbol for the number of electrons. So the example becomes: Il-Au19@-Pb20#-Ne20*-a-Ti47@-isoa or something to the effect of. Some of my classmates prefer famous chess moves, so what ever floats your boat.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    My password is always something like... wait, no. If I told you, I'd have to kill you. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Okay, okay... one hint. Instead of just using words spelled backwards, use them upside down. The tricky thing here is that you have to pry up some of your key caps and flip them upside down while typing your passord.

And then put them back.

And then pry up all of the other keys, flip them, type something with them, and pry them up and flip them over again... just so that no one can figure out which letters are in your password by noticing which keys are loose and have pry marks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I like using my right hand on the number pad and my left hand on the keyboard, so they end up looking something like this: 1a2sd3f4, so I don't have to reach for the number keys... and I think it's harder to see what my hands are doing.

Disadvantage: I have problems when typing a password on a laptop

I like the idea of typing your password upside down... just turn your keyboard over and then it's backwards too!

Dag... I've had my password for over a year now... I should reaally change it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Dag... I've had my password for over a year now... I should reaally change it.

If you think that's bad, I use the same password everywhere(except for my system), and it's been the same for the past two years.