NFL: Week Two

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
okay, let's recap with some opinions of week two here, folks.

well, i still stand by my prediction from another thread:

loser of new england vs. philadelphia will go 8-8. and seeing how shell-shocked donovan looked today, i can believe it. looks like the nfc east will be jekyll and hyde all season (edit: the redskins are 2-0? the REDSKINS?!?). i just want parcells to lose... a lot. like maybe all of 'em.

i also still stand by a chiefs vs. bucs super bowl, but while half of those penalties were just stupid on the refs parts (see my other thread), the other half the bucs deserved. and what the f*ck was up with blocking on special teams? sure, carolina seems to have a strong special teams unit, but the center of the bucs' o-line gave them a written invitation to block that point at the end. i hope gruden tears into a few folks this week.

the chiefs ate up pittsburgh. man. what is it with vermeil and 3rd-year teams?

buffalo looked strong again, but i don't need to see the bills in another super bowl in my lifetime.

oh, and time to end the browns season now, before it gets any more embarrassing. kelly holcomb won the popularity contest in northern ohio, but that's it. plus, one man tells your entire defense he will set a new record against them, and he DOES?!?! what the hell is that???

damn, i love the jets, but they have just lost too much to free agency and injury. 6-10... again.

um, someone want to wake up the raiders?

chargers looked mediocre again.

seahawks 2-0? panthers 2-0? what the hell?

mike martz is a lucky s.o.b. i am convinced of that now. nothing wrong with that, mind you...

saints looked pretty lackluster until the second half against the texans. pity they don't have delhomme anymore. or hebert. or archie manning, fer cryin' out loud.

how exactly did the bears win their division a few years ago?

nice to see brett favre enjoying the game again. maybe they can rehire the entire '96 team?

vikings... 2-0, in about as vanilla a way imaginable.

that's all.

oh, and would someone get michael irvin off espn? please? thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I wouldn't call him lucky. The 49er defense isn't a top-flight squad be any means. The defensive line is relatively small and old. The corners and safeties are exactly the same as last year...one of the league's worst on 3rd downs. The only real bright spot would be the linebackers. They're fast, big and responsible for most of the success in the two games so far.

Martz barely squeaked by with a win when the Rams should clearly be a better team. The only thing that saved him was the complete boneheadedness of one Cedrick Wilson. It completely negated the previous drive...

Bulger really didn't look much different than Warner during the first half. In the second half, the SF defense didn't blitz nearly as often as they did earlier in the game. The should have kept the blitzes keep on coming...

The Seahawks look...formidable. Wow, did I just say that?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Seahawks-

Our offense still hasn't really kicked it in gear but the Defense is quick. We picked up Norman Hand from NO. Randall Godfrey from Philly. Chike Okeafore from San Fran. Our draft picks Marcus Trufant and Ken Hamlin are playing lights out right now. I think we have a good chance at beating the Rams next week at home. We always play them well and our Defense is much better this week. I'm betting we end up 11-5 with a Playoff berth.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    If you listened to the Steelers Chiefs game it wasn't the run-away that the score would indicate . . . the Steelers made a lot of stupid mistakes that cost them dearly but it was a good match (though they were outplayed)

I say Buffallo and the CHiefs - however I think that the Steelers will meet the Chiefs again in the playoffs and they will have a healthy Joey Porter and might surprise.

Seahawks . . . from what I hear they sound good

Bucs . . . they were awesome gainst the Eagles but what's up with Carolina? are they that good?

I didn't listen to the game so I can't be sure how it shook down . . . was it due to mistakes or are they a very strong team?

so I say Buffalo and the Steelers? --heehee

is that even possible?!?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Bucs . . . they were awesome gainst the Eagles but what's up with Carolina? are they that good?

carolina's defensive line DESTROYED the bucs o-line, especially the middle. every play, and evidenced in two blocked field goals and the extra point at the end. a kicker has an expectation that there won't be five guys standing in the way of the projected path of the ball.

BUT, as i stated in another thread, this had to be the most trigger-happy officiating crew ever. yes, the bucs o-line held a lot, but it felt like every play from midway through the 3rd quarter up until the end was marred by penalties. and no consistency, either. Two roughing the passer penalties were ridiculous calls, yet a flagrant push in the back after a pass was away was utterly ignored. and they thought "being fair" meant calling 20 penalties on both sides to make it even. all it did was make the game painful to watch.

i hope tagliabue fires the whole lot of them for that debacle.

p.s. why exactly is jerome bettis not starting again? i don't get that. his reputation alone would make the safeties play up towards the line.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

p.s. why exactly is jerome bettis not starting again? i don't get that. his reputation alone would make the safeties play up towards the line.

Bettis is old and he is extremely injury prone . . . I think he played four or five plays against the Ravens and hurt his groin.

I'd like to see him back in it . . .I wasn't a fan when he had his hey-day . . . but I've heard how great he was. The Steelers definitly need to work on their run game . . . unfortunately it probably won't be this year

What are the rules for mid-year acquisitions anyway?

Clarret? heehee
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

What are the rules for mid-year acquisitions anyway?

Clarret? heehee

oh geez. i know some teams and fans will want him, but this kid needs to get his head screwed on straight first. he's got horrible advisors right now to be telling him to petition and sue the nfl for eligibility, just to compensate for his f*ck up, and the f*ck up's of those around him. there are just too many adults around maurice who only think in terms of dollar signs when they look at him, and how high a draft pick he would be. this situation just has ugly written all over it.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    And what was with Jamal Lewis claiming he'd break the Single Game rushing record...and ACTUALLY DOING IT?

God is Clevland THAT pathetic?

Kansas City has a good team. Priest Holmes rocks.

Clinton Portis is Da Man!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

And what was with Jamal Lewis claiming he'd break the Single Game rushing record...and ACTUALLY DOING IT?

God is Clevland THAT pathetic?

Kansas City has a good team. Priest Holmes rocks.

Clinton Portis is Da Man!

Agreed, but against Pittsburgh Lewis did shiite . . .

I think Cleveland is a team that will get better . . they have a good QB and can pull out surprises

but Lewis' performance speaks that much better for Priest Holmes . . . he did well against Pittsburgh.

Portis does rock wish he played for the Steelers . . . I never liked the Bronco's except back when they had a different logo (didn't they used to have a bucking horse and rider?) . . . I'm silly that way . . . such things make a difference to me.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Portis does rock wish he played for the Steelers . . . I never liked the Bronco's except back when they had a different logo (didn't they used to have a bucking horse and rider?) . . . I'm silly that way . . . such things make a difference to me.

yes, remember denver was the first team to sport that weird "ribbon" style swash of color down their uniforms, which everyone hated to no end. now every teams seems to copy it (especially in the small college ranks)
  • Reply 10 of 14
    dear god, bill parcells and the cowboys won last night.

there is no justice.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

dear god, bill parcells and the cowboys won last night.

there is no justice.

I have no opinions of Parcells, and I hate the Cowboys, but the Giants loss was induced by karma. They can blame Shockey for the loss. You call Parcells a homo, you're definitely going to lose to him. And you're definitely going to drop several EASY passes in the process.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I have no opinions of Parcells, and I hate the Cowboys

i hate parcells, because he has TWICE had a verbal and/or handshake deal to coach the bucs in the past, and then backed out at the last second... then turned around and went to coach other teams. though, in each case, i think we ot the better end of the deal (see: dungy, gruden). still, he's a backstabbing arse, in my not-so-humble opinion.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Having been a dedicated Chiefs fan for most of my life, I can say that I have confidence that they'll screw up with regard to the playoffs.

It's a curse.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

Having been a dedicated Chiefs fan for most of my life, I can say that I have confidence that they'll screw up with regard to the playoffs.

It's a curse.

I think that had a lot to do with Marty. This IS a better team.