Should 12" PB = 15" PB?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Should 12" PB include same features than 15" PB has? I think, that yes. Sometimes people just need smaller light laptops, if they have to move a lot and they have a lot of presentations etc...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    ...why not?
  • Reply 2 of 22
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yes, I agree. If people want a low-cost, lightweight laptop and are willing to give up features, they can just get an iBook. The PowerBooks should all have pro features. The 12" PowerBook right now is basically just an iBook with a better keyboard and a G4.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    indeed
  • Reply 4 of 22
    AMEN to this thread!
  • Reply 5 of 22
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Remember that some features (eg L3 cache) do take up space, and it isn't just a matter of offering a different connector (eg. DVI instead of VGA). I'm no expert on laptops design, but there probably isn't much space free inside a 12" PowerBook.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    What Luca is getting at is why market it as a "Powerbook" then? Just call it the "Aluminum G4 iBook Special Edition" and be done with it.

I myself am looking to by a rev. B 12", hopefully the feature set will have synched.

Screed
  • Reply 7 of 22
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    What features are missing?
  • Reply 8 of 22
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Mainly DVI output, L3 cache and higher RAM capacity.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Missing features in the Rev.A 12-inch PowerBook:

* 1GB max RAM (at reasonable cost)

* L2 cache

* 1+Ghz processor

* DVI-out

* glow-in-the-dark keyboard

* I couldn't care less about FireWire 800

* thinner case

* even lighter weight

I can't wait to see what Jobs will announce a few short hours from now. Who knows whether I'll wake up from my sweat dreams to find they have come true?

[Edit: How could I forget the (rumored and wished-for) thinner case and lighter weight?]

Escher
  • Reply 10 of 22
    i'm right there with you escher!

i will be selling all of my machines to get one too!

here's to a proper 12" powerbook!
  • Reply 11 of 22
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    All they have to do is make a 12" PowerBook that matches today's TiBook in features (all the things Escher listed) and I'd be very, very tempted to go that route.

Of course, we'd want it to be 7457-based.

Having DVI simply opens up the possiblility of later augmenting it with a gorgeous Cinema Display of my choosing.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    who me?
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Missing features in the Rev.A 12-inch PowerBook:

* 1GB max RAM (at reasonable cost)

* L2 cache

* 1+Ghz processor

* DVI-out

* glow-in-the-dark keyboard

* I couldn't care less about FireWire 800

* thinner case

* even lighter weight

I can't wait to see what Jobs will announce a few short hours from now. Who knows whether I'll wake up from my sweat dreams to find they have come true?

[Edit: How could I forget the (rumored and wished-for) thinner case and lighter weight?]

Escher

forgot PC Card slot
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

forgot PC Card slot

No room. Won't happen. IMHO.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    what the hell is mini-dvi???

it's gonna be very hard to not buy a 12" PB now, although the 15's look very sweet as well!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

it's gonna be very hard to not buy a 12" PB now, although the 15's look very sweet as well!

Yup. Both the new 12-inch and the brand-new 15-inch are very nice. Plus the educational pricing is just insane.

With the mini-DVI port, the 12" PB = 15" PB, as the topic of this thread says. Most of my major wishes are included. The glow-in-the-dark keyboard would have been fun, but I can easily live without it. I certainly don't mind that Apple didn't include FW800.

In terms of buying, I've decided to wait at least until I can inspect the new 12-inch and 15-inch PowerBooks side-by-side at my local Apple Store. I will probably wait even longer, until Panther comes pre-loaded. But I could crack any day.

Escher
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Escher,

I hear ya, yesterday I was like "I'm waiting for the G5 PowerBook, my Rev. A 500Ti is enough for me!"

Now I'm tryin' to work out a deal to sell it for $900 so I can get the superdrive 15" at student price. $2,299 is a very attractive price for what you get!
  • Reply 18 of 22
    stratosfearstratosfear Posts: 150member
    Why Apple still thinks, that 12" laptops means like cheaper configuration? Why 12" laptops can't be same configuration than 14", 15" or 17". Some people just prefer 12" model, because it's more portable. They don't just buy 12", because it's cheaper.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

Why Apple still thinks, that 12" laptops means like cheaper configuration? Why 12" laptops can't be same configuration than 14", 15" or 17". Some people just prefer 12" model, because it's more portable. They don't just buy 12", because it's cheaper.

Nice bump to a year old thread.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    lol yea what you look on page 100 to find that thread. lol Good point though, which i happen to agree with. The 12" should include all the features of the 15". Some people just need a small laptop but still need the power.