Rev C Hopes for G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Am I the only one that thinks the G5 is a stunning example of minimalist industrial design at its most forthright and honest, yet still in need of something? I miss the symmetry that the El Capitan front Panel had. I like the perforated Aluminum, but feel that the front panel is just not quite right. I think Dual Drive Bays and a symetrical alignment would fulfill my desires, how about you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I don't care for the Symmetrical aspects but Dual Drives would be welcome if you could squeeze'em in there.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Besides being an artifact of the G5's adamant adherence to the idea that form follows function (the ports are on the side because that's where the motherboard is), the case is so stark and so symmetrical that the asymmetry of the front ports is a welcome detail, a grounding in reality.

One of the odd things about human aesthetics is that you can boil it down to golden ratios and geometries to some extent, at least (although which geometries are appealing in which ways to whom is pretty much wide open), but perfect adherence to those rules comes off as sterile or cold. People don't merely expect to find flaws, they tend to prefer them. In fact, that sort of "dissonance" can be used expressively, to attract attention, or introduce tension.

Or, it can simply be a consequence of the fact that the G5's motherboard isn't centered within the case.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Maybe more room can be made after the drop to .9 nanometers? Anyone think thats possible?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Wow, Amorph you sure know lots of words. Actually your post makes perfect sense and I agree completely after thinking about it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Major Tom

Am I the only one that thinks the G5 is a stunning example of minimalist industrial design at its most forthright and honest, yet still in need of something? I miss the symmetry that the El Capitan front Panel had. I like the perforated Aluminum, but feel that the front panel is just not quite right. I think Dual Drive Bays and a symetrical alignment would fulfill my desires, how about you?

I would have liked to have Dual Drives. Overall, I like the design. I think a matching keyboard, mouse and monitor would be a nice touch.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The G5 was a lot more thought out than you give it credit for. I really doubt that having a symmetrical face would have looked better at all, and Apple probably tried it out with tons of different designs. Personally, I think that the current look is great, and keep in mind that symetrical objects are not necessarily the most appealing to the eye of a human being. A lot of arcitecture is assymetrical, and looks good because of it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Major Tom

Maybe more room can be made after the drop to .9 nanometers? Anyone think thats possible?

The G5 they'll put in after 90 nanometers will still be as hot as the current one, it will only run at higher clockrates.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I don't know about you, but I really, really like the white LED on the front. That light, plus the light in my Apple LCD display, almost steal the attention when anyone walks in the room.

If only I had a nice shelf to put the G5 on instead of my floor.....