Users declare-Government pot sucks!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Canadian cannabis

While still containing the government mandated 10.2% THC, it appears most "patients" are not happy with the government cannabis. They have demanded their money back.

Sorry it just struck me as funny. Now instead of arguing about the drug war we can argue about government cutbacks in the percent of THC in pot.

Dude, Bush gave all the THC to his rich buddies, and we got the crappy leftovers...

I know it is in Canada but just imagine the future Sunday talk show debates....

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    "Medical" marijuana is a complete sham.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Not nearly as big a sham as the Marijuana Prohibition.

Tell us, Scott - were your Grandparents tea-totalers during the Alcohol Prohibition?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Quote:

No it isn't. Medical Marijuana is very effective in the treatment of nausea (particularly nausea associated with AIDS and the some cancers, or caused by use of other anti-AIDS/chemotherapy drugs). If you'd like, I can link to several studies each showing a significant percentage of positive reaction (wrt treating the symptoms) to the use of medical marijuana.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

No it isn't. Medical Marijuana is very effective in the treatment of nausea (particularly nausea associated with AIDS and the some cancers, or caused by use of other anti-AIDS/chemotherapy drugs). If you'd like, I can link to several studies each showing a significant percentage of positive reaction (wrt treating the symptoms) to the use of medical marijuana.

Now imagine these same studies being run with the Canadian government marijuana, what would the results be?

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Now imagine these same studies being run with the Canadian government marijuana, what would the results be?

Nick

the results may have been very different.

-

know whats kind of ironic: some of the best illegal marijuana comes from canada. go figure.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    No surprise the official government pot sucks: it grows deep into an abandonned mine in Manitoba. Growing quality pot is in fact pretty simple: good soil and LOTS of sunlight. Real sunlight. I think sodium lamps are the closest approximation you can find. The region around the St-Lawrence river happens to be just perfect for this

But how could we even hope that our lovable canadian governement would understand this... Most of those authorized to use pot don't use the official one, they get it like everyone else on the street.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

That may or may not be true but medication is not something you light up and "toke". Medication is something that a doctor prescribes, in known amounts, has documented delivery to the body tissues and clearence, kown side effects and drug interations. Care to provide that information?

No. Medical marijuana is infact a cold hearted ruse by the pro-pot lobby (big joint if you will) to get pot legal for all. I don't beleive for one second that the pro-pot lobby gives a rats ass about medicating sick people. All they are looking to do is use sick people as a wedge in their selfish ploy to make pot legal.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

That may or may not be true but medication is not something you light up and "toke". Medication is something that a doctor prescribes, in known amounts, has documented delivery to the body tissues and clearence, kown side effects and drug interations. Care to provide that information?

No. Medical marijuana is infact a cold hearted ruse by the pro-pot lobby (big joint if you will) to get pot legal for all. I don't beleive for one second that the pro-pot lobby gives a rats ass about medicating sick people. All they are looking to do is use sick people as a wedge in their selfish ploy to make pot legal.

The typical hyperconservative response. Totally uninformed and totally untrue.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Medicinal marijuana is prescribed by a doctor.

The interactions between THC and other drugs must have been well-researched, as THC is available in pill form from your friendly neighbourhood drug store.

I grant you that the interaction between the other products generated when lighting up a joint may not be as well documented, but I'm sure years of tobacco studies have helped in that area.

Here's some studies on various aspects of the issue:

Vinciguerra et al., Inhalation Marijuana as an Antiemetic for Cancer Chemotherapy," The New York State Journal of Medicine, pgs., 525-527, October 1988 involved 56 patients who had no improvement with standard antiemetics. When treated with marijuana 78 percent demonstrated a positive response. No serious negative side effects were seen.

Chang et al., Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol as an Antiemetic in Cancer Patients Receiving High Dose Methotrexate," Annals of Internal Medicine, Volume 91, Number 6, pg. 819-824, December 1979 is a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial of THC and smoked marijuana which found a 72 percent reduction in nausea and vomiting. The research found that smoked THC (marijuana) was more reliable than oral THC.

Foltin, R.W., Brady, J.V. and Fischman, M.W. 1986. Behavioral analysis of marijuana effects on food intake in humans. Pharmacology, Biochemistry and Behavior. 25: 577-582 and Foltin, R.W. et al., 1988 Effects of Smoked Marijuana on Food Intake and Body Weight of Humans Living in a Residential Laboratory," Appetite 11:1-14; Greenberg, et al. 1976 Effects of Marijuana use on Body Weight and Caloric Intake in Humans," Psychopharmacology 49: 79-84. All demonstrate that marijuana increases appetite and food intake.

Doblin et al., Marijuana as Antiemetic Medicine: A Survey of Oncologists' Experiences and Attitudes," Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol. 9, No. 7, July 1991. A random survey of clinical oncologists found that 44 percent of respondents report recommending the (illegal) use of marijuana for the control of emesis and 48 percent would prescribe marijuana to some patients if it were legal.

Sallan, S.E., Zinberg, N.E. and Frei, D., Antiemetic Effect of Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol in Patients Receiving Cancer Chemotherapy," New England Journal of Medicine, 293(16): 795-797 (1975). The researchers conducting this study of THC noticed that some patients were dropping out of the research and choosing to use marijuana from the street instead. They followed up on these patients. In their conclusion they reported on the marijuana patients and stated that natural marijuana was more successful than synthetic THC for some patients.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Chang et al. seems to be the only one worth bothering with. It's from 1979, almost 25 years old. Don't forget that there are drugs that reduce side effects of chemo. Is the pro-pot lobby pushing for those too? No. Why not? Becuase you can smoke them and get stoned.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Chang et al. seems to be the only one worth bothering with. It's from 1979, almost 25 years old. Don't forget that there are drugs that reduce side effects of chemo. Is the pro-pot lobby pushing for those too? No. Why not? Becuase you can smoke them and get stoned.

Vinciguerra is from 1988 and seems to correlate the evidence provided in Chang.

Why would the Pro-Pot lobby push for those side-effect reducing drugs? The drug manufacturers have their own powerful lobbys to do that.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

well, why can't medicine be in a different then usual form? the idea of sticking needles in people was pretty strange and crazy when they first came up with that, and it has since become quite common. smoking a drug (for medicinal purposes) has a longer and further history than needles, particularly in older days but still among some native tribes. as others have pointed out, medical marijuana is prescribed by a doctor. they have done a great deal of research on the subject (much of which has been hurt by the marijuana prohibition; its a lot more difficult to do marijuana research in america than it used to be).

Quote:

well, many in the pro-medi-mari camp do not agree with the idea of legalized marijuana for non-medical use. interestingly enough, recently i was called into jury duty on a drug case. the lawyers questioned us about obvious biases. a large amount of the (potential) jurors said they do agree with legalizing medical marijuana, yet demonstrably fewer said they wanted non-medical use allowed. it doesn't amount for good statistics, but interesting nontheless. personally, i do think it will be easier to legalize marijuana for personal non-medical use when medical marijuana is (completely) legalized. its not like a conspiracy or something though. we didn't devise a plan to create a medicinal use for the drug just so we could have it all to ourselves. marijuana has been used as a medicine for hundreds and thousands of years.