Attitude Adjustment... the lesson God is trying to teach me

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't care if you are atheist or whatever, this what I feel is the recurring theme in my life right now, this is what God is trying to get through my thick skull. This is the lesson I need to learn. I need an attittude adjustment, I need to be more receptive on the job (even though I hate it) and I need to be more helpful, more forgiving of others' ignorance and more willing to admit my own ignorance and failings. Also I need to be more pro-active, lighten up and being more positive about my life. It is tougher than it sounds.

What are your tips when all you feel like doing is being an all-around jackass to people?

I think I need to give up cigarettes and start exercising again.

I need to learn humility.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    I'm an all around jackass too. You just have to learn to be cool with it, because you're not gonna change.

• Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

a lesson for this entire godforsaken country.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    No, I'm not going to change, but my behaviour can change. I remember a time when I wasn't an all-around jackass. Maybe my perception is warped these days, the lack of sleep gets to me. I will be glad when I finally get my replacement trained for the 3rd shift. Then maybe I can relax and get some real shit done.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Stress can be a real downer...

So many people can get up our noses..but the best we can do is rise up and over without engaging in their dynamic control dramas..

For what it is worth, it often helps me to imagine a cork floating in some ocean filled with oncoming waves.

Like the cork, I haven't got any power to stop those waves..

but at least I can make like a cork and just float up and over those people, events, and forces that I have no control over...

Its kind of a peaceful acceptance...

That way now wave can drown you..if you deal with it as a cork deals with it..

So make like a cork & float...

Aqua
  • Reply 5 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I know some people that could use a cork!
  • Reply 6 of 17
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I know some people that could use a cork!

ermm let me guess.....
  • Reply 7 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You heard about last night's dinner?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    God's message to me this summer: you are here because you were misplaced. You have no real purpose in this particular time and place, so try not to get in the way butt-face!

\
  • Reply 9 of 17
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Not sure if you were talking to me, but I certainly am my own worst critic and more than own up to my fukups generally speaking. However, I [must admit I have a hard time drawing a line between what messages "God gives us" and which we discern from our own observation and reflection.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    >>I don't care if you are atheist or whatever, this what I feel is the recurring theme in my life right now, this is what God is trying to get through my thick skull. I need an attittude adjustment

I'm an incurable atheist so that wouldn't work for me but maybe you need to strengthen your religious faith and get closer to God. Religious people tend to be nicer to others. Now, don't become a priest just yet...

lolo
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

originally posted by lolo

Now, don't become a priest just yet...

No, no, I think I enjoy my vices too much.

Quote:

originally posted by tonton

Is it really God who's trying to teach you this lesson, or are you teaching yourself? Take credit for your strengths and responsibility for your failures.

Sometimes I just don't know how to take what you write, tonton.

If you are atheist or agnotic, I respect that.

I do believe in responsibility. I also believe that faith is not blind, and requires a certain amount of struggle. The God I believe in doesn't want weak children, he wants us to fight and struggle to better ourselves over our shortcomings. He also doesn't want us to be arrogant asses, humility and a sense of humour I think are key weapons to overcoming a person's failings.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

No, no, I think I enjoy my vices too much.

Uh, lots of priests seem to have vices too... really nasty ones, in fact...

okay, cheap shot!

Oddly enough, it has been a summer of soul searching and self improvement for me too. I quit smoking and started exercising...

... you can do it.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

God's message to me this summer: you are here because you were misplaced. You have no real purpose in this particular time and place, so try not to get in the way butt-face!

\

Are you sure your not Miles Rumerford..aka Kurt Vonnegut's hero " The Sirens of Titan" ? ?

He invented to church of the totally apathetic..rekon you'd fit right in..
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Take full advantage of keeping the sabbath. One day a week, chill. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made in my life.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I hear you. . . .

I moved to the upper midwest, to a small town and I was immediately struck by something that I had been unaware of about myself (well, maybe not that unaware) namely: how I seem to naturally assume the worst in people's motives, and tend to believe that people are cynical

This was shown to me because people up here are NOT cynical!!

They are friendly and relaxed. Sure they're not all hunky dory, but generally people up here seem to want the best for themselves and others

It made me realize that I have a streak of mean-spiritedness that could use some serious re-adjusting
  • Reply 16 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

I don't know your situation in life, but the best thing you can do is travel. Take a three month excursion across Europe and parts of Northern Africa or the Mid-East. Do it all in hostels and low low budget situations. It's the best thing you can do. I'd say Asia, because it's even cheaper and more humiliating, but it's not easy to do.