Saving Quictime Movies from the Net

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

Is there any way of saving quicktime movies from the net to my HD? I know that you can do this with QT pro, but under classic, netscape would save the file in its cache folder, but I can't seem to find the file in OSX.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Home-->Users-->(current user)-->Libraries-->Caches-->(whichever application cache you are looking for)

but they all seem to be in a weird .cache format, don't know how you'll be able to view them \
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you don't have QT Pro, you could just "obtain" it somehow. Or you could try isolating the movie file - if there's a link to the movie, it's easy, just download the link. If there's no link to the movie, then you might be able to find it by going into the page source and finding the movie's URL, which will allow you to download it: either by creating a dummy page with a link to the movie, or by opening it in its own window and just hitting command-S to save the page (which contains only the movie).
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Just use Netscape for Classic
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Use Snapz Pro X.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Use Snapz Pro X.

No.

Usually you can find the URL by viewing the source on a Web page and then download it with curl or something. If it's an RTSP stream you need openRTSP to save it.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Thanks for the help, but I still can't find the file - It's the video of the new REM single - you can find it on their site at http://www.remhq.com

Thanks,

David

P.S. Its an extremely funny video.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Thanks for the help, but I still can't find the file - It's the video of the new REM single - you can find it on their site at http://www.remhq.com

Thanks,

David

P.S. Its an extremely funny video.

Just buy Quicktime Pro. It is awesome and I save trailers and movies all teh time, use their soundtracks, etc.

It is well worth it!!!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I assume this is what you're talking about, no?

http://www.warnerreprise.com/qt-ref/r2c3bd_ref.mov

It's being streamed; so, you're going to have some trouble getting it to save. QuickTime will only save the reference movie that links you to the stream. It will not save the stream itself. You're going to have to tinker around with that openRTSP program to get it to download. Here's one of the stream's URL:

rtsp://qt.wbr.com/rem/video/r2c3bd_700.mov
  • Reply 9 of 12
    If I may ask a Q of my own:

Is it possible to save a streamed movie in its entirety? Like a video version of Audio Hijack - for example, if I wanted to fill up my hard drive, could I save one of Steve's 2-hour keynotes in QuickTime.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    technically yes, you're just running a tap off the video stream feed.

apps like Ambrosia's free Wiretap will do it for the audio stream... video just scales up
  • Reply 11 of 12
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by åsen

Is it possible to save a streamed movie in its entirety?

openRTSP.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    There's no need to delve into the cache in most cases. If the movie is not embedded or you can extract the URL to it and view in by itself just use Save As in Safari. Of course this probably won't work with a streamed movie. Oh and it works with other file types as well.