upgrading hard drive on a 15" PB Ti -1Gz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I've decided to forgo upgrading to the new 15" Al PB. Instead I want to upgrade my 'slow' 4200 RPM HD to the much faster 7200 RPM Hitachi/IBM HD. I've looked at the bottom of my PB and I see these star-shaped screws. Is there a special tool I need to get?

I've been using Dell notebooks for the past few years and the one thing I really liked was the ability to upgrade just about every piece of the hardware: HD, graphics card, LCD, internal drives, etc.

Any thoughts on putting in a 7200 RPM HD inside a 15" Ti PB? I was thinking perhaps heat might be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You need a Torx wrench to remove the hard drive. On my Rev. A 500Ti, I needed a T-8 wrench. I picked this up at Sears for $2.00.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I upgraded my PBG4 550 to a Fitjisu 40 GB hard drive after my stock 20 GB IBM Travelstar crapped out on me this spring. It's a 4200 RPM drive, but it works fine. The only thing that I can think of with upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive would be a greater drain on the battery. Upgrading the hard drive was a sinch. There are instructions to upgrade your computer here. Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Once again, thanks everyone for your help. Just purchased the 60 GB 7200 RPM Hitachi HD for about $261 from TheNerds.net. This was the most logical upgrade for me; I just hope it doesn't drain my batteries too much...