return the 1Ghz 17" or not? (pay restocking fee)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ijust got the 1Ghz 17" on Sept 8. call back to the retailer (not apple store) they need charge 15% restocking fee, i bought that laptop for $2830 + $150 S&H =total $2980.

the restocking fee is $425.

so if i exchange the 1Ghz to 1.33Ghz have to pay

$425 + $150 S&H + the difference $2999(1.33Ghz) - $2830 = $169 so all total will be $744 for the new one?! the price excluding the returning shipping cost!

and the manager understand i lost lots of money and he gave me an offer for total $900 included the 3yrs apple protection plan.

so almost $750 i don't think it's worth.. and i am planing to get a new ipod and get an extra 512m rams...

so any advice? maybe someone will think that's worth the speed, the new video card, the new 2.0 USB, extra 20gig HD and a 2G max upgradable rams slots...

gNYp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by gNYp

ijust got the 1Ghz 17" on Sept 8. call back to the retailer (not apple store) they need charge 15% restocking fee, i bought that laptop for $2830 + $150 S&H =total $2980.

the restocking fee is $425.

so if i exchange the 1Ghz to 1.33Ghz have to pay

$425 + $150 S&H + the difference $2999(1.33Ghz) - $2830 = $169 so all total will be $744 for the new one?! the price excluding the returning shipping cost!

and the manager understand i lost lots of money and he gave me an offer for total $900 included the 3yrs apple protection plan.

so almost $750 i don't think it's worth.. and i am planing to get a new ipod and get an extra 512m rams...

so any advice? maybe someone will think that's worth the speed, the new video card, the new 2.0 USB, extra 20gig HD and a 2G max upgradable rams slots...

gNYp

It totally sucks when that happens! If it were me, I would probably exchange it just because I would always feel jipped.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    You didnt wait the 8 days... and you are a AppleInsider member so you knew about it... no way is it worth $750... it is just bad luck for you
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gNYp

I say relax, because I look at it like this:

I bought a 1GHz 17" PB recently too, not as recently as you, but still in the last couple of months. With 1Gb RAM, its just sweet - more so as I'm a switcher. Now, of course, the new 1.33GHz 17" PB is a whole lot better. But am I kicking myself? A tiny bit, yes. But when I really think about it, I've still got this fantastic Mac that is still perfectly serviceable even though its not top of the range anymore. It will still be great tomorrow too. Next year there may be a 17" G5 PB. Will I buy it immediately? Probably not straight away, because my 17" G4 will still be just fine. My 17" PB makes me smile when I think back to my first ever computer of my own: a x386 PC, with a 20MB hard drive, and 2MB RAM. I even spent the equivalent of $100 buying another 2MB.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    $150 shipping and handling?? Are they delivering the same day with a side of lunch? Where is this place?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    you r right! åsen, thanks. i will stay with it. so i can get a bigger ipod, extra rams or maybe an isight too...!

thanks all advises!!

gNYp